News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

More possible counter types?

Started by Desprez, June 25, 2013, 10:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desprez

I'm fairly new to Lackey, but it looks like a good tool to quickly test prototype games.

One of these games has a large amount of counter types. (They are pretty much never used all at once, but they all need to be distinct, as you never know which of them will be used at any one time.)

I'm looking at around 20 different counter types or so.
Is there a way to add additional types from the default 9?
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere; my searches were turning up a lot of irrelevant results.

Maybe there is a workaround?
I might be able to use tokens, but manipulating them could be a problem.
Having a button to quickly increment them is nice. And having a button to de-increment all counters on a card is very nice. As far as I know this is only possible using counters?

Trevor

Currently, only the 9 are supported. I would suggest you try using them in a more abstract way. For example, instead of "+1 Damage" for a counter, use "+1 Red", which you could use for damage counters or whatever other counters you want based on the context.
You can always also use notes too.

When there are 20 different counters on a single card, that seems like it might be an unwieldy CCG design.

Another idea is to make use of player stats if that's appropriate. Consider a game like Decipher's Lord of the Rings which had you put Burden tokens on the ringbearer. They are technically placed on only the ringbearer card, but something like this also works better as a player stat instead.

VacantShadeGames

I've read your above suggestion, and agree that Counters need to be streamlined and as limited as possible.

However, I too have run into the problem of the Counter limit, and would benefit from an increase in the limit. Another possibility that would work for me, would be if Counters could go into the negative. While this isn't realistic physically, it is a very simple concept to grasp and could potentially reduce the need for so many Counters.

Of course, whether you decide to add these updates will greatly depend on how many people want them, so I'll add myself to that list and leave it up to your judgement.