News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

How many cards should a CCG have?

Started by yudencow, February 21, 2014, 03:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yudencow

How many cards should a CCG have? What are the factors that should be put in the decision?

I am working on a game that has 3 faction that can't mix, there are also 9 elements to the cards and you have to have a dominent one of at least a third f your deck (20 cards). I think to end around 2600~ cards. Is it too much, too little or okay?

Cyrus

At what point in the game? 2600 is way way way way way way way too many to start, or even after several years of releases. Most games put out a big first set of about 300-400 cards, and then release expansions of about 180-250 cards.

yudencow

I'm talking total number in the end is 2600~, meanining 2600~ in the meta-game. I thought to start with 150~.

Cyrus

Are you trying to design every card before the initial release? That seems like a huge undertaking, especially if for whatever reason the game doesn't end up being popular. If it does end up being popular, though, I don't think there's any reason to cap the number of cards that will ever be released, just keep making cards as long as people want more cards!

yudencow

I really want all the cards I'm making in the metagame. Magic has around 1300, so is mine in the groundswork. I thought to do for the more ideas to have different special decks like raid deck of Wow and some other original ideas.