News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

New Idea for Format Rules

Started by malleck666, May 25, 2014, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malleck666

Greetings!

As some of you may know, I own the Aspects card game and have continued working extensively on it lately.
I am currently looking at competitive formatting rules and how I could devise a new style. Eventually, I came up with a format that limits a deck's "weight" as opposed to limiting the deck size or card duplicate limit. The way this works is by calculating the "weight" of each card and totalling the deck. The weight must fall between a certain threshold to be legal for the format. The formula I came up with for Aspects works exclusively with Aspects and ensures that minions of a higher potential and power are significantly heavier but also manages to keep structures light and instants of a reasonable value. This format will not have rules regarding the amount of cards in the deck.

Let me know what you guys think!

-Regards

For those who want to check the rules of Aspects

Dan55

I am reminded of a RPG that I used to play, ICE.  In it you were allowed to balance your combat 'stance', balancing your offensive and defensive readiness.  It quickly became obvious that the players that went 100 percent offensive - won.  You didn't need any defences if your opponent never had any real chance to attack.

In your system, what would prevent someone from taking all the highest power cards, expecting the game to be so short that their lack of numbers would never be a factor?

malleck666

Quote from: Dan55 on May 26, 2014, 11:43:24 AM
I am reminded of a RPG that I used to play, ICE.  In it you were allowed to balance your combat 'stance', balancing your offensive and defensive readiness.  It quickly became obvious that the players that went 100 percent offensive - won.  You didn't need any defences if your opponent never had any real chance to attack.

In your system, what would prevent someone from taking all the highest power cards, expecting the game to be so short that their lack of numbers would never be a factor?

Thank you for your question!

In Aspects, units are played using a resource system that works by generating required resources from defensive structures you have in play. On the whole, the unlimited structures have little and no weight, meaning a vast amount can be included. This is relevant as the weight of minion units is calculated using their cost to play. Generally speaking, a higher cost minion will be more powerful, thus costing more to play and then, in turn, requiring more structures to generate those resources; meaning more are needed to be included in the deck. As you'll probably know, more cards in a deck lowers the draw chance of any one card. If this seems long winded, check out the rules as linked in my main post.

In addition, the format will have various weight thresholds. Lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight and megaweight. Decks in each band will have to fall between a certain weight threshold.

Of course, this is all work in progress and play testing is still ongoing, but as it stands, it has turned up some interesting deck builds and strategies!

Yamato

I'm no expert at all, but imo I think you should change the game rules to make your game something different and give the player a reason to play it. What Im saying is : why should I play your game instead of MTG? I mean, MTG offers more options, way more cards and similar mechanics, so your game looks like a capped version of MTG, even when there are some slightly  differences. Dont take me bad, it is just that i think you should include some innovative concept.

And about the card template, it looks good, but for me it looks like a card for a scifi game but with medieval and fantasy contents.
I would use something that looks like stone, wood, papyrus or something more medieval.

Othe than that, i wish you the best.