Hello everyone! :D I am in need of some advice.

Started by NotSafeForTwerk, July 18, 2014, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSafeForTwerk

Hello everyone!

I have been a long time lurker on these forums because I myself am an avid CCG fan, but felt I really had nothing to contribute that more talented members haven't already. Recently, about a year ago, I began designing a CCG. I have made rules, a card design, and even a few proxies to try testing (Kinda moved though so no friends to play with). All the friends that I introduced it to, mostly CCG players as well as a couple non players, all agree that it is an interesting and fun idea and many suggested trying to make it and market it. My problem is, while I designed the cards (via illustrator) I have seen it is better to detail the cards in Photoshop or a similar program. However, I lack the skill or technical knowledge to do so, and few of my friends are capable enough (though they are certainly more talented than I).
So my question becomes, how do you accomplish what you need to with the design of the cards while not having the knowledge or the time to dedicate to gaining it? Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, how did you handle it?
It has been a dream of mine to be able to see this to fruition, even if it never goes any further than concept. If there is anyone that can provide help, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

-Esteban

Trevor

NotSafeForTwerk

Interesting read, I have a template and art ideas, I just have a specific look for the card borders, background, and stat boxes.
EDIT: Would it help if I posted the outline image of one of the cads?

j.kloud

From my own personal experience, I started by making simple master templates - although I use Inkscape instead of Illustrator - essentially doing everything for all of the cards needed apart from art.

For the purpose of play testing, I used Thegamecrafter.com to create protorypes, to avoid printing so many proxies. Then when cards and things needed to be modified I just made notes on the exact cards themselves. The repeat the process.

However if you don't have much experience with creating master templates and such and want a greater level of detail/skill I can help and/or offer a little bit of help and even assist with some designing.

-cheers
J.