News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Combat Mechanics (Question)

Started by NotSafeForTwerk, July 19, 2014, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSafeForTwerk

Hello everyone,

Recently I have begun work on another CCG and am having difficulty coming up with a combat mechanic to go along with it. See, the game is going to be about dueling Magi who use magic, items, and intrigue to subdue their opponent. Rather than M:tG, where things are summoned, it is just straight up 1v1 combat. There may be summons of some sort later, but they won't be attackers or defenders per se, more like cards that grant abilities and such. That being said, the bulk of the game will be exchanging spells to over take your opponent.
My problem becomes, as I am trying to make the mechanic from scratch to be different that most combat based games, that I cannot avoid the pitfalls. I don't want it to be like the DBZ card game, or UFS. But I am unsure what to add that wouldn't be like that. I might use them as a mechanic for a place holder, until I think of something better.
Has anyone attempted any kind of combat oriented game? And if so, would you mind me picking your brain?
Also, if you are just an avid player and have played games with combat mechanics ike this, please feel free to add in.

I thank you all for your time and consideration on this matter.
-Esteban

Zevuel

So I've never designed a card game like you're describing, and I've only played the DBZ card game, but I figure I'd give you my two cents and see if it did any good.

One idea is to have attacks/spells/whatevers with charge times.  Instead of just throwing a fireball or a dragon kick and your opponent blocking it or tanking it, your spells and attacks are all in view, all on timers, so both sides prepare.  Both sides see what's brewing, and they have to plan around the inevitable, with cards in their hands swaying these spell's progresses slightly.

Another idea would be attaching spells/attacks/skills to your player/avatar/whatever.  Like, once you attach Water Mastery, you can play with the top card of your deck revealed, or you can spend 3 mana to make an attack, or you can destroy Water Mastery to remove all Fire cards.  One attached card could have one or multiple uses, spells, or actions that would alter how you played.

Monox D. I-Fly

Quote from: NotSafeForTwerk on July 19, 2014, 09:39:00 AM
Recently I have begun work on another CCG and am having difficulty coming up with a combat mechanic to go along with it. See, the game is going to be about dueling Magi who use magic, items, and intrigue to subdue their opponent. Rather than M:tG, where things are summoned, it is just straight up 1v1 combat. There may be summons of some sort later, but they won't be attackers or defenders per se, more like cards that grant abilities and such. That being said, the bulk of the game will be exchanging spells to over take your opponent.

Do you mean like Ederon? It's an online CCG where you fight your enemy with weapons, shield, punches, kicks, and magics. No summoned critters.