Orginal Tactical CCG - STEEL WARFARE | !Lackey Exclusive!

Started by MisterJay, August 09, 2014, 10:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterJay

Hello, and let me just start by saying thank you Lackey CCG for being an amazing medium t build and test card game mechanics without the grueling task of writing lines and lines of code for logic based interaction in an engine like Unity or UE4. So, Thank you lackey for being a designers dream come true.

My name is Jason Terry, I am a 24, and have been writing game concepts, working on games as a hobby, and playing CCG, Table Tops, and gaming in general since I was birthed in 1990. I am by far no encyclopedic expert on gaming, I am just a creative guy with tons of ideas. One of those ideas, is Steel Warfare (Actual Name Subject To Change).

A little about my games concept.

http://bluetoonz.deviantart.com/art/PSIop-Light-Frame-Ageis-Exo-Suit-CCG-PROTOTYPE-303849688

STEELE WARFARE - The First Shot
In the future where fuel is the galaxy?s most powerful resource, and countless factions rival over planets for natural gases, minerals,  and fossil fuels. Without the manpower to deploy battalions of frontline troops to fight over countless regions on countless planets they resort to highly trained Mechanized Strike Teams. These teams use mobile assault units called Frames and their many flexible equipment layouts and their ease of deployment to combat each other on all sorts of battlefields that span the whole galaxy. This is the world of Steel Warfare.

The game of steel warfare is a blend of Collectible Card Game elements, turn based tactics elements with emphasis on strategic positioning of units on a grid and use of all means of assault, resource management, and base management to overcome the opposing force and hold ground on the battlefield. The game is played like a traditional card game, with 2 opposing players each bringing their own 40 card deck to play, the game field consist of a 5x7 grid with five lanes across, and seven rows that make up the battle zone. The end column will represent each players ?Base or HQ? and this is where that player may deploy troops, structures, and other permanent cards. There are many other complex mechanics but in essence, players take turns deploying troops, managing resources, moving and attacking with troops, and trying to hold ground in the battle zone. The game win-condition is under heavy debate right now and we are really trying to avoid a game mode that is generic in the ?Deal X Damage to enemy base? we are hoping for a much more dynamic sort of strategy to come forth from this project.

We are accepting all applicants who wish to join us on our journey from concept to idea, and are open to all input as of now. We are hoping t get a full 240 cards out in the first set, to include 3 separate factions, and 80 cards per faction. As well as two starter decks per faction.

Trevor

This sounds and looks really cool. Nice work and welcome aboard.

Also, I suggest all CCG designers take a look at my CCG design page, http://lackeyccg.com/ccgdesign.html

RoyMaster4

I had planning stages done for a CCG project similar to what you have going on here, with a few minor differences, namely a larger board, varrying structure sizes, and a fantasy setting rather than futuristic sci-fi.

However, I had included a slightly different mechanic for winning the game - each player had a 'general' type of card instead of a base. You'd build troops around the general, but the general itself could move and attack like any other troop. So to win, you have to kill off the general. I'm curious if something similar to that could work here, which would allow a more dynamic variation of battlefield control.

MisterJay

Quote from: RoyMaster4 on August 10, 2014, 09:06:08 AM
I had planning stages done for a CCG project similar to what you have going on here, with a few minor differences, namely a larger board, varrying structure sizes, and a fantasy setting rather than futuristic sci-fi.

However, I had included a slightly different mechanic for winning the game - each player had a 'general' type of card instead of a base. You'd build troops around the general, but the general itself could move and attack like any other troop. So to win, you have to kill off the general. I'm curious if something similar to that could work here, which would allow a more dynamic variation of battlefield control.

Originally the board was indeed larger, I believe it was 10x10 and we wanted a general mechanic as well, mainly because we love the idea of building a deck around a command unit. However, when we did testing, matches would often take 45 minutes to 130 minutes. Thus, we downsized a bit, and have gotten rid of the general cards, which still exist but work differently now.

Also, after contacting one of the other original designers, and the only known person to have the un-edited PSD for Photoshop, I have just learned I will have to remake the card templates, again...

Well, guess I am better get started. I am planning on three card "Frames" (That's a pun) and each being unique for the three factions, oh yeah about that. Let me introduce a bit more of the fluff....

---------------------------------

Now that you understand where you are Commander, welcome to Calida Prime.

Calida Prime is a desert world located in the Bravidos Galaxy where three factions currently struggle to obtain their own desperate goals trying to control the surface of the world and secure their taking of the abundant amounts of natural gases and fossil fuels within the planet.

The CPM (aka Calidian Planetary Militia) vie to defend their lands and their simple ways of life, not inherently use to the struggles of war, but also not about to give up their rightful resources without a brutal and bloody fight. Their guerrilla tactics and their extreme resourcefulness when it comes to salvaging parts to rebuild and repair make them able combatants even against the technological superpowers like Primus Sect or the highly trained grunt tactics of the GMAF.

The technological superpower known throughout the galaxy as Primus Sect Industrial Operations, or PSIop for short, travel the many systems in search of economic opportunities in order to fund their extensive research and development in space travel, weapons, medical treatment, cyber-optic-implants, and various other high end technological advancements. Their interest in Calida is to simply stomp out the local population, enforce their law and order upon them, and commence harvesting all the valuable resource to sell on the galactic market.

The GMAF or Galactic Mechanized Armed Forces is a highly trained and self operating mercenary style military faction that travels the galaxy in search of new sources of fuel for their many galaxy spanning military operations, they see Calida as a prime opportunity to help improve supplies routes in the Bravidos Sector, and will secure it at any cost.

MisterJay

Bump for Progress!

Here be the first re-creation of the card frames. Each factions frame will look different, but the layouts shall be mostly the same.
This is just the base layout, with some flavor towards a more military based faction. It's not done yet, and very bare bones, so please be gentle. So far what do you think of the layout?

Comments, Questions, and Cult Worship?