News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Public Network Connecting?

Started by WyattConlaed, August 24, 2014, 02:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyattConlaed

Hi. First off, love the program. Love the ipad app. Love everything.

My roommate and I both have the ipad app, and it's on my Win8 laptop as well. We are in a college dorm room, with public wifi. However, only one device can connect to the game matching server at a time, meaning we can't play that way. We have tried connecting directly to each other's devices, but since we're both on the same network the IP address is the same for both of us and it gives an error. I've looked up the local IP on my laptop in an effort to use that, but his ipad couldn't connect to that either. Am I doing something wrong, or is Lackey simply not able to work under these network conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

First off, that is odd how both of you can't connect to the server at the same time. Have you tested this? Person A can connect fine, unless person B is already connected? And person B can connect fine unless person A is already connected? If that is the case, I can tweak the code to allow you both to connect to the server at the same time, even if you're on the same LAN.

In the interim, if you are on the same LAN, you should be able to direct connect. (Or even if you are not on the same LAN). You should be able to have one person host (without connecting to the server) and the other person join by entering the host's LAN IP address (or wan if you aren't on the same lan). Obviously, you won't be able to connect if you have certain internet settings that prevent this. Do you have control over the wifi at all? You can also try turning of your computer's firewall and see if that works. It's usually a lot easier to connect to another device over a LAN than a WAN due to how routers usually handle security.

You can contact me on Skype and I can troubleshoot with you. I'm trevoragnitti on Skype.

WyattConlaed

We've tested and verified that we can't both connect at the same time. We both have the exact same WAN, so is there any remote chance that the server is rejecting the second player because of that?

I did try to set up the direct LAN connection, but when we tried it, it gave an 'unknown error' trying to connect the games. I went through ipconfig and everything, so I know the IP was correct. Since this is a college dorm, I really don't have much control over wifi...apparently they don't even trust cs majors.

Alastair

It shouldn't be because you share the same WAN. I've connected multiple computers at my current location in the past, all of them sharing the same external IP as far as Lackey was concerned. I'm thinking it is probably something with how your college's network is configured. If you can manage to get in direct contact with Trevor on skype he should be able to help you sort out the problem.