Question about keeping gamezones private???

Started by ZatchBellGamer, September 04, 2014, 01:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZatchBellGamer

Hi, I REALLY need someone to reply back to this question ASAP please... It turns out my gamezones appear as cardbacks to the opposing player (which is good), but they can still take cards out of the gamezones and place them on the table. Is there a way I can protect the cards in the gamezone from being affected by other players by specifying it in the plugin.txt file?

AuraDragon

Lackey is a non-enforced game platform, another player yanking cards out of your gamezones and placing them on the table is akin to playing in real life and your opponent yanks cards out of your deck, they are capable of doing it but it's against the rules.  Most players on the Lackey server won't conduct this kind of behavior, however there are always the odd few who will...

Lackey does not yet allow gamezones to be protected from other players.

Trevor

What Snoogy said is right. You should handle people breaking the rules the same way you would do so with physical cards. When a person does this in Lackey, the log clearly shows what they did. (I wish there were an action log to prevent cheaters in real life!) If you think the other player is cheating or being a jerk, just ignore them (with the ignore button) and don't play with them. Fortunately, these kinds of people are few and far between and most of the folks you meet on the server are cool people looking to have fun. Cheating is one of the lamest thing a person can do and that kind of behavior really shows how pathetic that person is.

There are several reasons lackey doesn't do rules forcing:

It would make implementing game plugins to be exponentially more difficult.

A computer program isn't a judge and isn't aware of context in a game.

Even if a computer program were written to completely understand the context of the game, this necessitates the players being completely unambiguous. This means having to constantly explicitly "pass" on any potential action. You also can't skip anything. For example, if you're just drawing your one card per turn and intend to do nothing else, in lackey, you can just skip to the end of your turn to speed things up. A computer program isn't smart enough to understand the context of what you're doing in an example like that. In lackey, the phases of the turn are meant for communication purposes only. If it's clear what you're doing, you don't need to manually step through them all.

With rules-forcing, it can be easy to make a mistake by using a simple miss-click. You could have CLEARLY (to all players) intended to do something else, but a simple mistake made you do something else. It's difficult to allow the fixing of clear mistakes with rules-forcing.

ZatchBellGamer

Hm, all right. I understand, and that does make a lot of sense.

In that case, is there a way to reveal cards in your gamezone to spectators or just reveal the entire gamezone to spectators such as a discard pile?

Trevor

Quote from: ZatchBellGamer on September 04, 2014, 12:57:39 PM

In that case, is there a way to reveal cards in your gamezone to spectators or just reveal the entire gamezone to spectators such as a discard pile?
spectators should only be able to see game zones that all players can see.

ZatchBellGamer

Quote from: Trevor on September 04, 2014, 07:24:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, but for some reason, revealing the game zone to all players still blocks it from view for the spectators, and only the players in the seats can see it... We have the same plugin and everything, but they just can't view the cards that aren't on the table. There's a "visibletoplayer" option and a "visibletoothers" option... Should I add a "visibletospectators" option to that?

Snoops

I also have this problem. I can't see cards in a discard pile if I'm a spectator, I've tried every option available for revealing the zone but it just won't work.

Trevor

Quote from: Snoops on September 05, 2014, 03:10:58 AM

I also have this problem. I can't see cards in a discard pile if I'm a spectator, I've tried every option available for revealing the zone but it just won't work.
That may be a bug/oversight. It was my intent to let spectators view things that all players could.