News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

I need rules advice

Started by kverkagambo, November 09, 2014, 11:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kverkagambo

Hello.
I am creating a card game that is heavily inspired by Hearthstone.

Among other major differences is a rule that minions don't have attack and health but only one param - strength (or morale). In attack a minion deals damage equal to own strength and loses 1 strength themself.

Of course, that creates a problem: attacker always clears the table and their minions are still on board almost undamaged. This advantage accumulates as the game goes on.

One of the ways I decidet to lessen this effect is to make attacks need resoure too. Player spends some recources to put a minion on the table, and 1 recource to attack.

Is this the correct way? Are there other ways to minimize advantage accumulation of this kind?

Dan55

I think I understand what you're saying, but I want to be sure.  The defending minion just stands there and doesn't fight back?

kverkagambo

Dan55

Well then, an alternative is how Magic does combat - both sides deal damage.

Mogo

Other non-magic the gathering possibilities could include:

-Remove the self-damaging aspect of attacking and create a maximum number of attacks a minion can perform before it's discarded (A minion starts with 3 attack tokens, each time it completes an attack, remove a token.)

-Whenever a minion successfully completes an attack, it is discarded, regardless of outcome. (unless otherwise noted)

-Create a grid of minions in the play area so certain minions could "protect" others from being attacked (such as the "Vs. system" card game)

Quto732

The best way to go about it man is to simple play the game your developing. You can't write out everything and expect from the rules perspective that it will work. I've tried before and believe me, it gets you no-where.

Develop some mock cards into a plugin and find a few people to play test the game with some of the more barebone rules. If there's a mechanic you need to explore, find someone to play test it with you and test it out.

-As far as minions who just have to sit there, Defending minions could have a healing advantage or a :"death rattle":

kverkagambo

So I return to this topic after a long time. Thank you for the answers.
How I solved this problem is that the minions in defence have their health amount doubled - they get armour that is equal to health. Attackers have to concentrate their efforts to take out one of the opposing minions. Then the turn end and minions in defence get their armour. It all works well for now.

obakachantachi

Quote from: kverkagambo on April 19, 2015, 05:29:47 PM
So I return to this topic after a long time. Thank you for the answers.
How I solved this problem is that the minions in defence have their health amount doubled - they get armour that is equal to health. Attackers have to concentrate their efforts to take out one of the opposing minions. Then the turn end and minions in defence get their armour. It all works well for now.
Are the attackers exhausted in any way by the act of attacking? Also, is there any maximum amount of minions you can have? It seems like after a couple of turns, the playing field will be filled with minions since the first few attackers can't really take down a defender. -obct

xlovedajawax

How about having it so that Minions can only attack during specific situations, much like in DBZ when your MP is at a certain Power Level or lower your Allies (or in this case minions) can absorb damage and attack instead of the mp