News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

iPad: Any Hope for Custom Content?

Started by topquark, November 24, 2014, 09:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topquark

After a month of using different virtual table-top apps, I've decided to go with LackeyCCG for its multi-platform capabilities and ability to save games. Kudos for these features!

I use an Autoupdate URL for my favorite plugin, and then add my own cards to LackeyCCG as new physical cards come out. This requires some editing of the plugin, but I'm ok with that. Since I keep my LackeyCCG folder on Dropbox, I'm able to play on any of my computers at any time, with all my cards.

I've read that the iPad version (which I don't own yet) can only get content from an Autoupdate URL. Assuming this is the case, I decided to make my own plugin which contained all my added up-to-date content. To my horror, I was unable to host the plugin through Dropbox, since the way Dropbox (and other cloud drive providers) handle links requires that each file have a unique, secure (https) url. In other words, maintaining the updatelist.txt file would require a unique URL for each file in the plugin (don't get me started on card art).

After some learning curve pains, I managed to get GitHub up and running, and have successfully began "serving" my modified plugin with my added content. Hooray!

My question is this: is there any hope of the iPad app getting the feature of being able to move plugin folders without using a static webhosting service? Other apps allow file transfers via iTunes... is this possible with LackeyCCG? Having to work with the updatelist.txt file and sync GitHub repositories every time I make a new deck or add cards is rather onerous, and it would be fantastic if save games could be synced or transferred to the iPad from the desktop and vice-versa.

Or, as a pie-in-the-sky dream, could LackeyCCG get Dropbox integration? I know, I know, but a man can dream...

Thank you for a great way to enjoy my favorite game! If I'm incorrect on anything above, or could be doing what I'm trying to do with an easier method, please let me know.

topquark

I obtained LackeyCCG for the iPad, and so far things appear to work ok.

As a follow-up to my post above I've discovered a way to avoid an AutoUpdate URL: a free program for the pc and/or Mac that allows access to the iPad filesystem called iBrowse (http://ibrowseapp.com). I found the plugins folder under the LackeyCCG app (/Apps/LackeyCCG.app/Library/Caches/plugins), and was able to copy files to the iPad and after some edits in the deck editor, copy them back to my mac.

Not elegant, but it beats having to work with github, etc.

Anyhow, if some kind of sync option via dropbox, or access to LackeyCCG's files/folders under iTunes' "File Sharing" window could be implemented in a future release, that would be fantastic!

Thanks for a fantastic app!