News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Never made a plugin before, how to upload

Started by KingWhirlie, February 20, 2015, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingWhirlie

So, I am redoing the swccg plugin because its a few years out of date and I'd like to change some of the sorting features to look for new criteria.  Currently, the plugin is far from done but I'd like to test it before I get too far.

This is my first attempt at a plugin though and I went through the steps in the tutorial and got to the updatelist.txt and version.txt and I wasn't sure what to do about the url's. 

So ultimately, I dont know much of anything as far as uploading files onto the web.  Please keep that in mind.

I tried uploading everything to googledrive and i copied the various links to the two .txt's(I included updatelist.txt and version.txt in the updatelist.txt, but wasnt sure if i should), got the checksums, but then to get that new updatelist.txt online I uploaded again and I got a new link.  Neither link ends with updatelist.txt which is what the plugin installer on lackey seems to want.  So how do I create my own link so it can end in updatelist.txt? 

Another question, if I update files for the plugin do I need to manually do it in the online file?  Otherwise I have to upload it new each time and that changes the links and thus my updatelist.txt.  I think I do have to make the change online, and that was the meaning of that red part about things being stored differently online from the local locations.

Also, I include the updatelist.txt and version.txt in the updatelist.txt itself, right?

fyi, I am doing this on windows 7.

Thanks!

TriOpticon

I am not sure Google drive works well for doing updatelist.txt  Have you tried DropBox?  You put all the files in your Public folder on DropBox and you get the public link for it and that should never change.

In your updatelist.txt do not include the link to the updatelist.txt but do include the link to version.txt.

When updating the files with dropbox you should be able to just remove the online one and upload the new one

KingWhirlie

So I used dropbox and it does work like you said, the only issue that I have now is that it isn't downloading.  and I wonder if its because of  the format of the link that ends in updatelist.txt?dl=0.

I compared it with the pokemon plugin which is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73204375/pokemon/high/updatelist.txt
mine is https://www.dropbox.com/x/#'s/updatelist.txt?dl=0.

Why does my link not have dl.dropboxusercontent.com etc?  Do I need to change the addresses of my links to follow that format? 
Also My file folder that's shared is swccg. so thats why i dont have the other folders.  likewise I only have one version of cards no med or high, etc.

thanks for your help

TriOpticon

Make sure you upload it to your Public folder.  It is at the root of your DropBox

When the file is uploaded, right click on it and select Copy public link...

I just uploaded an old updatelist for a plugin that is no longer maintained and this is the link that I received.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12677812/oldupdatelist.txt

Does that work for you?

KingWhirlie

i dont see a public folder, do i have to make it?  do i need to upgrade dropbox?

KingWhirlie

never mind i found it in the help section, i have to make one since i registered after 2012. ill let you know how it goes soon

KingWhirlie

maybe i should have looked into it a bit further.  so i do need to upgrade to dropbbox pro. I'll probably get it next month and test it because ill be busy for the next few weeks.

Also, will paying for only one month of dosboxpro still allow me to keep the public folder and use it?

KingWhirlie

would box.com work?  It seems I can manually make my own link there. 

TriOpticon

I have not tried box.com.  Put a link here and I will try to see if I get the file. 

KingWhirlie

https://app.box.com/s/lr1dvldtsyvsw9mt18cg442sepfxzpk3

It wouldnt let me end the link with updatelist.txt.

I'm not thinking this is gonna work.   It appears to have some of the same issues as googledrive.  I also saw something called a directlink which looks like dropboxes public folder thing.  That however, takes an upgrade. 

This also leads me to another question, if I were to get dropboxpro, could I set up the public folder with all the appropriate links and after one months subscription cancel it, but still have the folder remaining?  or will it take away my folder when I cancel the  subscription?

TriOpticon

Yeah, I do not think that will work.  It doesn't download the file directly.

What about Microsoft OneDrive?  I have not tried it but maybe it will work.

TriOpticon

I just tried OneDrive and it had the same issue, even if I made it a public file.

Another option would be to setup an ftp server on your own machine, if you do not mind people connecting directly to it.

KingWhirlie

I looked at a few things and found what looks to be a good reference for setting it up, but the guy really only espoused the positives and didn't mention any negatives.  It's also a bit dated(2005).  I don't have time to look at much more at the moment, but maybe you can answer my concern faster than a search.

How much access are we talking?  Can it be only for the plugin, or is it also to other portions of my computer?

Normally, I wouldn't want anyone having access to my computer over the web. I can be very paranoid about cyber theft.

KingWhirlie

So I think I just found the solution in this thread.

http://www.lackeyccg.com/forum/index.php?topic=2635.0

I put in the two links and I got different results, which is what I think I want.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ye3wrjvxr1s7yg5/updatelist.txt

KingWhirlie

well, i couldnt wait and i downloaded lackey and it worked!!! Now I just have to correct all the files and put them on dropbox!!  Im super excited!! THanks for your help!!! I really appreciate it!!  I am still curious about the ftp server if you wouldnt mind helping me understand it better. AWESOME!!!

i now hope that i dont have a new unforseen problem... haha