News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Problem players

Started by fistsofthor, April 02, 2010, 08:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fistsofthor

It seems that every so often, I will run into a problem player.  One who simply likes to cause trouble.  For example, a player that takes the cards and drags them off the edge so that no one can see them, or so that its very hard to see them.  Or the player will move around pieces on the board, or start playing cards out of someone's library or move your all your permanents into their library and then reload their deck.

One such player is torn.  For example, I was playing a multiplayer game.  There were 3 players playing, and a 4th seat was open in case more people wanted to join so that maybe we could start a 2hg.   Torn joins, and he starts tragging everyone's stuff to the edges of the 50% zoom zone.  In fact, by group selecting, and moving stuff, all but one card can be over the edge and beyond reach.  Later, joined another one of my games and proceeded to stand up, change his name (i was only able to infer this, i couldn't see it), and then proceed to imitate someone else.

I would like to suggest a couple changes therefore:
1) everyone present in a room has their name displayed, whether they are seated or not.
2) cards cannot be pushed outside a given margin.  If they would be pushed outside that margin, they are instead placed within bounds where everyone can see, or are not moved at all.
3) Players or a host can establish some sort of ban list.  Possible we could have usernames and logins to access lackey?  This would prevent players from changing their name to imitate someone else.
4) Perhaps some kind of banning option.

I am saddened that such measures might be necessary, but some of these things might be helpful to prevent people from doing by mistake.  For example, 2 different players might both want to identify themselves as "jace" but that might cause some confusion.

Tokimo

Here I assumed you meant players who didn't know the rules and insisted (incorrectly) that you were wrong two or three times and then stormed out of the room (only had one of those, but it was a frustrating experience).

Seems like the feature to do this might be to be able to anonymously IP Ban another player (like if Torn is causing problems we say "ban this dude" and you've just banned his IP). If an IP got enough individual bans it would be banned from the whole server.

whizzerd

however it gets done, i agree w/ fistsofthor it needs to be done....the torn guy he referred to trolled the server for an entire day just wasting peoples time.

Ordian

Torn needs to be kicked from the server perminately otherwise I could see lackeyccg losing a lot of its playerbase

fistsofthor

Well, it doesnt even need to be a server based kicked.  If each user were to be assigned some sort of permanent id, and you could create a list of ids that you do not want to be allowed to join your games, that would be sufficient.  Now, these numbers would need to really be tied to a player.  So, IPs are probably not sufficient in the long term.  But, those would be nice for starters.  That way, the community can self-regulate what a good player is and what a bad player is.

Alastair

I know Trevor has been slaving away at a new version of Lackey with alot of improvements in it behind the scenes. He hasn't specifically mentioned any sort of ban list to me, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Even if there isn't Trevor has done an outstanding job listening to the community, so have a lil faith that once this is brought to his attention it'll get handled.

fistsofthor

Quote from: Alastair on April 03, 2010, 11:09:42 AM
I know Trevor has been slaving away at a new version of Lackey with alot of improvements in it behind the scenes. He hasn't specifically mentioned any sort of ban list to me, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Even if there isn't Trevor has done an outstanding job listening to the community, so have a lil faith that once this is brought to his attention it'll get handled.

As to that, I simply can go on enough about how great lackey is and how i really appreciate all the hard work the programmer(s) do.  The reason why I bother putting this here is because i believe that the programmer(s) will listen to us.

briggs

I think a Ban feature would be a little much, how about an Ignore player by IP address?
Ignore could prevent said player from entering your game.

fistsofthor

Well, I should probably give other examples.  For example, this player entered our game, then stands up and changes his name to duplicate someone else's name and started dragging everyone's cards to the edges.  Then he proceeded to move items from the table to off the edge of the 50% zoom side.  Made players vacate their seats.  I cant do that unless im host, but somehow he is able to.  Then, having the duplicate name as somebody else in the room, he moves their stuff between zones.  It went from a 5 player edh game to everyone quitting because he was messing with everyone's stuff and they were unable to play.  Perhaps it could be a check box where only seated players are allowed to move items?

Ripplez

the problem with simply banning people is that it becomes very easy to simply ban people who you dont like for other reasons. rather than try to co-exist with others, you can and some people i know simply ban everyone who disagrees with them. it might not seem like alot, only the banner and the bannee get the effect but it has the effect of slowly splitting the player base

new player doesnt know how a card works? stop wasting my time noob, get out *ban*
someone said something i took the wrong way? *ban*

now it might not be so harsh certainly not immediately. but it can easily be used as a way to avoid mistakes or introspection since you can always take it out on others, even people not as bad as tom

that said, what tom did would certainly be annoying. let there be a checkbox when a game is made that spectators cant interact with the cards

the reason im asking for a checkbox and not making it default is kibitzing is a very nice way to learn and understand a casual game in progress or a new game youv learnt for the first time. making the spectator never iinteract is bad but having contorlled situations for when you allow and dont allow it isnt so bad

fistsofthor

Well, I think making the ban list a maximum of two days would work. Even one day would be acceptable.  Additionally, all players both spectating and not spectating should be listed.  And the check mark to make it so only seated players can move stuff, is a thing can be a thing we have to check.  I have no problem with that.

Additionally, we can make it so that only players are able to move their own cards as a second check box.  (and then they can allow someone else to take control by right clicking).

I mean, I can understand not wanting to allow players to shun each other quickly and easily forever so as not to split the player base, but if you make it so that the ban lists only lasts for 24 hours, then that accomplishes everything in terms of quickly removing troublesome players.  Because we need a way to get rid of troublesome players.  And perhaps, if a user bans a player 5 days that week, he can give a week long ban, and then start back from the beginning.

fistsofthor

Do, near the end of an edh game, torn came in today.

I have two screen shots for you.  First he enters and stands up, then he kicks me out of my seat, then he spawns tons and tons of tokens:

Then, he changes his name to the name of someone in the game after he stands up. And then does this:

Does anyone see how this might be ban-worthy?

Like, this isn't some player who plays telling time from his hand when he meant to play impulse from his hand and looks at 4 cards instead of 3.  Like, when a player repeatedly tries to mess with others and harasses them, something needs to be done.

ruminant8

torn MUST die!!!!

Now seriously, I am 100% in favour of ban/kick features being implemented in the future versions of lackey. Or at the very least more control over seating and access to games (the most obvious being setting a password to join a game for example) to hosts. Due in no small part to my experience of this 'blight' player (Torn) on the otherwise friendly, supportive and welcoming community that is the regular lackey user base.

SugimoriDesu

Wow, Some people have too much time on their hands. I would say that this is why i haven't gotten on lackey for a while, but it ain't XD.

It would be great to see some sort of IP ban feature, but maybe have a dialog box pop up when you're about to ban someone from your game, maybe with a list of reasons... then maybe a couple more Dialogs asking if you're REALLY sure. That would most likely alleviate some of the Ragebans, i think.

THough, frankly, i think Torn has figured out the inherent cruddyness of the old code, and is trying to  be a total moron.

Who knows.

fistsofthor

Or, perhaps the hoster of a game should be allowed to check a box for an individual game that gives him (or her) the option to see a player when they join and determine whether that player should be allowed or denied the permissions to perform game actions.