News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Possible Solution for Hosting Issues....

Started by Jynks, May 02, 2017, 10:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jynks

So DropBox is fucked... but I think I have found a free solution...

The problem was unless you added every single file url into the card files we needed a webhost that acts like a traditional public_html folder... as in all files are xxx.yyy/filename.ext ... that way you only need 1 entery in your plugin dir with the directory, and then the app gets all the files by appending the file name onto the url (xxx.yyy/file1.jpg | xxx.yyy/file2.jpg) etc etc..

Anyway... looks like I may have found a free webhost that will fit out needs.. it is called.. 5GBFREE ... it has already been around for about 5 years so it is realitivly stable... but more importanly it has 5GB of free space as well as full FTP access for easy uploading and file management. There is also other feeares like pHp and mysql if you want to run forums or blogs or w/e.

Like all free hosts it has a smallish bandwidth limitation, so you may get errors when you hit that.. but lets face it the LackeyCCG community isn't that huge!! hehe..

Anyway.. I'm going to try and move 1 of my plugins to this service to test it out.. I'll let you know how it goes...

have fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

AuraDragon

KingWhirlie

KingWhirlie

Also, there are three plugins I have that appear to autoupdate from the lackey website.

For example:

www.lackeyccg.com/sw/high/updatelist.txt

So, how does that work?

(The other two games are dune and wow)

Alastair

Several plugins are  hosted on the lackey web server. The issue there is that it's almost out of space and on the occasions that it does fill up, it breaks the forums.

KingWhirlie

KingWhirlie

I think I might have found something.

Someone has a plugin from webs.com

http://cardwarslackeyccg.webs.com/updatelist.txt

I haven't tested it personally, but its something to look into for anyone making a plugin.

Jynks

5GBFRee worked great... but they deleted my account after a few weeks as they say it violates the user agreement.. even though the two plus I posted are from well out of print games.

I think the only alternative is to use direct links to my dropbox.... but I am not 100% sure how... All my plugins use the cardURL directory thing... like below..

QuoteCardGeneralURLs:      
http://theblathering.5gbfree.com/LoTR-LCG/Cards/

So this would simply work for all my card images which were just placed in that dir which is accessible by HTTP...

Before this feature was added there was a way to add individual card image urls .... .dose anyone know how to do this?

Ajayajayaj

I think you should try GitHub. You just need to create a GitHub account, make a new repo named "[username].github.io". Then, in that repo, you can put folders and files and they will be accessible at [username].github.io/[folder]/[filename].[fileextention].

Jynks

Quote from: Ajayajayaj on July 02, 2017, 05:54:07 PMI think you should try GitHub.

I could try GitHub.. but unless it has predictable file names... then it will not work.

So they way LackeyCCG works is that :

• You place ALL the card images in a single directory, or a few.. but works easiest if all in one dir.
  • You then give lackey the HTTP ofthat directory. (http://mygame.com/cards")
  • In your CardDataFile you have two important values.
    • Name
    • Extension
  • So when Lackey asks for "MyCard" it simply appends "MyCard.JPG" to the URL you set.. [li]Then it uses the Extension to sort the directory structure of the game. So if you have "MyCard" in Expantion2, then in the card download it will be placed in a directory called "Extention2"

So the problem isn't hosting the files, it is having the url work like this...

Ajayajayaj

Quote from: Tragic on July 02, 2017, 07:00:04 PM
Quote from: Ajayajayaj on July 02, 2017, 05:54:07 PMI think you should try GitHub.

I could try GitHub.. but unless it has predictable file names... then it will not work.

So they way LackeyCCG works is that :

• You place ALL the card images in a single directory, or a few.. but works easiest if all in one dir.
  • You then give lackey the HTTP ofthat directory. (http://mygame.com/cards")
  • In your CardDataFile you have two important values.
    • Name
    • Extension
  • So when Lackey asks for "MyCard" it simply appends "MyCard.JPG" to the URL you set.. [li]Then it uses the Extension to sort the directory structure of the game. So if you have "MyCard" in Expantion2, then in the card download it will be placed in a directory called "Extention2"

So the problem isn't hosting the files, it is having the url work like this...

Yea, with github pages you can upload files, and it will host static websites with the file system. If you place a file in a folder, it will be accessible at username.github.io/folder/file.extention