News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

MTG plugin, rotate card 180 degrees

Started by Chris, March 30, 2010, 04:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Is there a way to turn a card 180 degrees in the MTG plugin?
I don't mean the 'take control of' option. I'm playing with one of those double-sided cards that you need to flip once a certain condition is met.
I thought I remember doing this previously but I cannot find the option now...

Trevor

This is possible in Lackey, but that specific plugin doesn't include the function. That is done so rarely in Magic that you're better of just using a note, or a counter.

Ness1066

Well this is a constant condition in l5r (mainly dishonor).  If this functionality is possible, what would it take to add it to that plugin?

Trevor

Quote from: Ness1066 on April 17, 2010, 11:39:49 AM
Well this is a constant condition in l5r (mainly dishonor).  If this functionality is possible, what would it take to add it to that plugin?
It's trivial for the plugin maker to add, but the bigger issue is, is it really better to add it? Just because you do things with physical cards one way, doesn't mean it works best to do the same thing with virtual cards. Depending on how frequently that 180 degrees thing works, it may be better to just use a counter or note to signify dishonor. WHen you double click a card, it rotates it from 0 to 90 to 180 to 270, depending on which your game has. If for your game, there is more utility in the easy toggling between 0 and 90 and 0 and 90, then I would suggest to mark dishonor with a note or token, especially if a dishonored card can be 0 or 90 degrees.

Ness1066

I think you're referring to the problem of 'untap/ready/straighten all' setting upside down cards to 0deg.  If that button simply checked the status of a card, and any not set to 0deg or 180deg were modified by -90deg instead of being set to 0deg, this problem would be eliminated.  Not sure how status of a card is stored, as I've never seen the backend of the plugins...but doesn't seem too difficult to implement

Tokimo

I have in the past added certain commands to the plugin so that I can do things with a single click when a plugin maker didn't support that task. In the pluginfo.txt there are two sections 'GENERALFUNCTIONx' and 'CARDFUNCTIONx'. You can change these and it will give you that button. Your opponent will see the regular list of buttons. In my experience this has never caused a conflict (the buttons are just shortcuts for 'do task XYZ' and I assume it's the nature of the action and not the UI action performed that the lackey programs communicate to each other).

Shoel

Quote from: Trevor on April 17, 2010, 02:43:21 PM
It's trivial for the plugin maker to add, but the bigger issue is, is it really better to add it? Just because you do things with physical cards one way, doesn't mean it works best to do the same thing with virtual cards.
I'm not sure I agree that it's trivial to add. We had the disscussion on the L5R plugin. It's far from trivial to add a state that is 180deg. What happens is that if you untap the card it goes back to 0deg. There is currently no support for the setting of a cards normal state to 180deg.

Also I would claim that what we are doing is playing the card games, the fact that we are doing it virtually isn't an issue. If we would start to discuss how to play the games virtually it would be easier to play "real" computer games.

/Shoel

adran

I happen to have made a set of CCG Magic Cards that has a LOT of flip cards, so this is actually a very important function to me. Sadly, as I only just got this program, I have no idea how to add the functionality to let me rotate the cards in this manner. If someone could explain it to me (or give me a plugin or whatever that lets me rotate the cards), I'd greatly appreciate it!