News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Linux status?

Started by Just Mick, May 20, 2010, 02:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Mick

I've lost a number of computers in the last week or so -- dumb luck I suppose. So until some parts arrive / I can get back to work I was planning to try to finally get into Lackey. Entering decks into the database seems to be the major point of procrastination.

So anyway, yesterday my last available Windows PC bought the farm and that got me wondering about Lackey vs. Linux but needless to say I tried Wine as the website suggested but the client area of the window never emerged. So I'm not really posting in an attempt to get Lackey running on Linux by this weekend, I'm just curious why the marriage hasn't happened yet...

Case in point, all of the libraries used by Lackey look like they are probably Linux friendly. SDL is used so there is probably not a ton of MSVCRT stuff in the way. Is GCC maybe a little too stringent? Or does a build environment just need to be setup? Or maybe there are concerns a proper Linux release should be opensource?? Just grasping at straws.

I really like Lackey (the concept) in theory. If there is a pool of developers involved I wouldn't mind being in the loop.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone involved ever discussed the likes of Sourceforge? Seems like the sort of initiative that would flourish.

Tokimo

I believe that Lackey is the private product of a single engineer. I suspect it really just comes down to: Porting is work, Trevor has a lot to do, ergo some work doesn't happen as soon as other work.

Just Mick

It could probably be ported in an afternoon by someone experienced with GNU/Linux build environments. If there is no point where Lackey goes off on it's own (does things from scratch) more than likely all of the libraries involved would be good to go out of the box.

The real dilemma may be a GNU/Linux distribution would really require either publishing the source code which can be a hurdle for a number of reasons (usually my reason is the source code is just too embarrassing atm) or maintaining binaries for the several different architectures (though the main ones would suffice for most of the population)

PS: I was able to locate a spare hard drive and setup a Windows machine in time for the weekend.

Alastair

I've gotten Lackey to run under wine without much trouble on my Ubuntu laptop. As to a specific linux port for Lackey, I suspect that it's been put on hold while Trevor works on the new version of Lackey. Don't know that for certain, but it's my guess.

Just Mick

If he is totally overhauling the source code it would probably be best to wait assuming the sources will be released for GNU/Linux style build purposes. There are also ways to setup a Linux server so to cross-compile whatever people need on demand. Releasing sources though would probably make everyone happiest.

A Linux build (come to think of it) would be really helpful in the  service hosting dept.

PS: Tried WINE (Ubuntu: Karmic) and like was said the window's client rect never manifested.