News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Feature Request: Save decks you're playing against

Started by Just Mick, June 09, 2010, 08:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Mick

You know how you right click an avatar to load a deck. Afaik that's the only way to do it. What if you could right click it and choose to save the deck. That way you could solitaire the deck later on your own time and find out why it wiped the floor with you or whatever.

I tend to prefer playing solitaire most of the time but I don't have access to a ton of decks or a deep desire to set a wide variety of my own up. Since Lackey is P2P and the plugins are a little sketchy this would probably be a much cleaner way to collect decks than to say having a bunch of .dek files up for download somewhere.

Some people I'm sure would not want people downloading/looking at their decks, but that number has to be really small. Either way just something else to think about.

PS: If there is somewhere where I can download a ton of .dek files I'd like to know about it. Please PM me if posting is not cool.

InShaneee

This would be a nice feature, though I can see one problem with it: you could simply save the opponent's deck on turn one to see what kind of cards he's packing.

Also, for the moment, there is a roundabout way to do this. Check your autosave file after a game, it lists all the cards in the opponent's deck.

Just Mick

I think unless the autosave is xml same as the dek files I'm probably too noncommittal to pick apart the autosave file. I don't think you really have time to totally inspect peoples decks in game, and A) most players probably don't care (so much) if the opponent knows what's in their deck. And B) peeking at someone's deck takes the fun out of things...

Probably just logging the save where everyone could see it would be enough. Most players wanting to save the deck would probably wait until at least the first game is finished. Though if people really cared the party could be prompted every time someone wants to save their deck if they wanted to be. Most people would decline to see the prompt just to not have to deal with the annoyance. Or decks could contain numerous permission flags if anyone thinks that's important.

All around I think everyone would greatly enjoy and benefit from an easy save feature. Makes p2p style trading very straight forward. No need for any website to incriminate itself by hosting dek files or anything.

Trevor

If you know the name of their deck, you can get a permanent copy.

Just Mick

I actually tried having the other player load their deck into my seat/avatar, but it did not load into the Deck Builder the way the decks do when you load them into Solitaire.

Quote from: TrevorIf you know the name of their deck, you can get a permanent copy.

Is this a riddle?

Trevor

Quote from: Just Mick on June 20, 2010, 01:47:46 PM
I actually tried having the other player load their deck into my seat/avatar, but it did not load into the Deck Builder the way the decks do when you load them into Solitaire.

Quote from: TrevorIf you know the name of their deck, you can get a permanent copy.

Is this a riddle?

You can actually get any file from your opponent's lackey folder with the get command.
Suppose you are in seat 1 and you want a wow deck called smurf.dek that the player in seat 2 has.
/get 2 plugins/wow/decks/smurf.dek

After "/get" is a space, the seat number you are getting from (or sending to), another space, and then the file path name, relative to the LackeyCCG.exe.

Similarly, /send also works with the same kind of syntax.
For security reasons, you can only transfer files within the Lackey folder.

Just Mick

That's interesting. When Lackey needs to pull a card image does it ever grab it from the peers like via get? If not, might be handy if the plugin provider is down.

Trevor

Quote from: Just Mick on June 21, 2010, 02:30:25 PM
That's interesting. When Lackey needs to pull a card image does it ever grab it from the peers like via get? If not, might be handy if the plugin provider is down.
That used to be an option, but it wouldn't work with different versions of plugins. Also, it should be just as easy to get it from a website.

Just Mick

I've had problems with the MTG plugin website before. At least if you're playing with someone you know you have a connection to them. And even if the plugin versions don't match (or the player can't be trusted to have the correct images on hand) you could at least grab a placeholder image of whatever they have so you can effectively play the game (edited: assuming they have the images for their own deck on them!!)

Downloading from the player could also be a way of distributing plugins without a website. So it would be a more P2P option like Bittorrent. Some networks or even countries like China might (un)intentionally block the plugin website also.