News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Creating a server

Started by DuckSoup, November 18, 2009, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuckSoup

So a friend and I were playing, and noticed a couple times where the Server would be offline preventing us from playing.

Well there is an option to start a server, but we tried that and didn't have much luck with that either.

Is there anything special that needs to be done outside of selecting "Start server" and providing the IP address to your friends?

Tokimo

Open some ports. I haven't done it myself, but I think there's a tutorial for this on the website.

Nenci

I would suggest hamachi for LaN games. It has the ability to create a VPN (Virtual private network) and connect directly VIA its own IP address. Click the link for more info.

Here are the features for the free version.

LogMeIn Free includes:

* Access from any Internet-connected web browser
    * Access to a Windows PC or Mac
    * Remote control and desktop viewing
    * Copy and paste between computers
    * Wake on LAN
    * Reboot/reconnect (including safe mode)
    * Basic reports (remote access sessions and user access)
    * Chat
    * AES 256-bit encryption
    * SSL/TLS intrusion detection
    * IP address lockout
    * No need for firewall, router or proxy configuration
    * No requirement for remote PC admin rights

Alastair

Quote from: Nenci on November 23, 2009, 05:29:01 PM
I would suggest hamachi for LaN games.

Hamachi is a great application but I disagree in its usage here. There's no need for Hamachi and considering the technical aptitude of your average user, it only further complicates the situation.

As to the OP, Tokimo is right. You need to make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded on your firewall. Consult your individual firewall/internet security documentation to see how to do that.

Nenci

I agree its not the easiest thing in the world but heh my mom figured it out and shes a complete PC idiot  ::).

It also promotes gaming communities that can be managed for custom and or non "MTG" games...

Im sorry but I have to point this out....

QuoteAs to the OP, Tokimo is right. You need to make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded on your firewall. Consult your individual firewall/internet security documentation to see how to do that.

Isn't this just as much work as setting up Hamachi? I mean the average user is reduced to being a stuttering PC idiot, but he's supposed to be able to read port forward's explanation of how to port his router and possibly bridge his or her modem, and then apply these ports to his or her firewall?

No disrespect intended but for all intense purposes, what you just suggested is harder than what I'm suggesting without the customization options.

mathman1550

I agree. You are all making this too complicated.
You can avoid servers all together.
Here is what you should do:
On the LackeyCCG Main Menu Person1 selects "Start Hosting Game", refresh IP, and tell to all other player(s). Then click 'Host'
All other player(s) go to the Main Menu and select "Join Network Game". They put in the IP Person1 gave them and click connect.

No messing around with making a server, no installation of Hamachi needed

Tokimo

Quote from: mathman1550 on November 23, 2009, 08:50:40 PM
On the LackeyCCG Main Menu Person1 selects "Start Hosting Game", refresh IP, and tell to all other player(s). Then click 'Host'
All other player(s) go to the Main Menu and select "Join Network Game". They put in the IP Person1 gave them and click connect.

Most users will need to forward some ports for this to work.

Nenci

The other issue is that the game you just created is connecting Via the Lackey server (what happens when its down as the OP expressed?)

mathman1550

Quote from: Nenci on November 23, 2009, 09:23:33 PM

The other issue is that the game you just created is connecting Via the Lackey server (what happens when its down as the OP expressed?)
Nenci: No, this type of connection is not at all through the server. So it has no effect whether the server is up or down.
Tokimo: Most users do not need to forward ports. Have you tried connecting to this yourself? Try it and then tell me whether you needed to adjust your ports.

Tokimo

It does not work for me without forwarding ports. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but you probably don't understand how ports work. You probably don't use a router to connect to the internet, or it's already forwarding the ports of interest.

I do recommend reading this if there is any remaining confusion. It doesn't go into the full technical details, but I think it's a sufficient introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

If you are using a router, you will need to open ports to get people to connect to a server you are running (this is basic networking, so I'd prefer to stop arguing about it), or you will need to use an alternative solution like Nenci's VPN. Personally, I recommend that you look up ports and take time to understand them and get them forwarded, it's a generally useful skill.