A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Kingdom at War ccg thread

Started by Dragoon, June 11, 2010, 09:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Quote from: DavidChaos on May 25, 2012, 05:52:08 AM
I really like the way these cards look, and I kinda have to ask:

Where are you getting these awesome pictures for the card art? They do all to be in the same art style...do you have someone who's doing the art?  Or are you doing it?

I search Deviantart for pics I want. As long as you aren't going to be commercial and credit the artist, you may use a lot. Some stuff is heavely copyrighted though.

Dragoon

A hint for all people who are building their own game: Make sure your back up discs are well and not being chewed on by mice because you accidently dropped cheese on them when you reset your pc. Just do it.

So.. I just lost a lot of data because I didn't heed my own advice.  :'(

Cyrus

Quote from: Dragoon on June 11, 2012, 09:45:40 AM
A hint for all people who are building their own game: Make sure your back up discs are well and not being chewed on by mice because you accidently dropped cheese on them when you reset your pc. Just do it.

So.. I just lost a lot of data because I didn't heed my own advice.  :'(

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Dragoon

Managed to recover some lost template data, yay for dropbox!

Now working with rules in a google docs document.

For now, the revised five factions

House Feryn
?We know more of you than you know of yourself.?

Smugglers, intrigants, and murderers. This is how House Feryn is looked upon and whispered behind their backs. Now the king has died, there is no mistake where House Feryn's loyalty lies - by itself.

House Margol
?Would you be so kind to return your loan??

Traders and expansionists, House Margol is the financial heart of the Kingdom, and they want to keep it that way. Using their wealth, they will remove any who oppose their claim, either with coin - or blood.

House Urdal
?Courage and Honor?

Lawkeepers and fervent protectors of the kingdom, House Urdal is currently the only force that holds the Kingdom together. Desperatly trying to restore the peace, they are trying to find the lost heir to the throne - or make one.

Maldur Rebellion
?Freedom for Maldur!?

Being forced into the Kingdom as necessity, the Malru region was always agonistic towards the Kingdom. Now, with the king dead, they will fight for their freedom - or die in the attempt.

The Broken Plains
?Their keeps will fall! Their will will fail! Their lands will burn!?

Those who dwell on the Broken Plains always wanted to turn the Kingdom into ruin, for wealth, vengeance, or because it was fun. Exiles, Orcs, Beastfolk and other beings. When united, no civilized race can stand against their might - when united.

Wisp

Possibly the funniest way to lose data ever... that sucks dude

Kosmosis|Omegan

Some feedback.

Cons: Unnecessarily Complicated

The Intrigue system is pointless the way its set up now and is never used, also the use of both having power and strength is redundant.

Pro: Novel Combat

The line system is a nice way to put it and by having the first and second yield different aspects you give a great source

The supremacy system is also a unique way for characters to draw, and it forces each player to try to come up with ways to keep heir for from getting it, the power of course is redundant but after that it works well (I like the coin system as well)

The way the game is set up also makes it really fun to  battles, with you only being able to play cards AFTER a battle unlike many games were you can play and then battle, a nice way to set the pace of the game.

The art of curse is amazing.

7/10

Dragoon

Quote from: Kosmosis|Omegan on June 28, 2012, 08:24:17 PM
Some feedback.

Cons: Unnecessarily Complicated

The Intrigue system is pointless the way its set up now and is never used, also the use of both having power and strength is redundant.

Pro: Novel Combat

The line system is a nice way to put it and by having the first and second yield different aspects you give a great source

The supremacy system is also a unique way for characters to draw, and it forces each player to try to come up with ways to keep heir for from getting it, the power of course is redundant but after that it works well (I like the coin system as well)

The way the game is set up also makes it really fun to  battles, with you only being able to play cards AFTER a battle unlike many games were you can play and then battle, a nice way to set the pace of the game.

The art of curse is amazing.

7/10

Thanks for the quick reply. I recognize the scrappyness of intrigues and working on changing it to make it a viable victory condition.

On a completely unrelated note, the mouse is doing fine :)

Kosmosis|Omegan

We also need to set up a better pool of playtesters. "Meta"-wise 0 strength cards are almost usless and I was getting my ass kicked until I lucksacked and milled into three frost wolves in a row when I had the Giant on the field (since there cost was one trade I could play them all for free with his eff , right?)

Also you never specified when you can marshall effects.

Also Power or Strength needs to be one thing, having both adds nothingness to he game but confusion.

Drop the Intrigue system for now  but keep the schemes having them be dead  on the field until they get activated by certain conditions (not just costing trade) is a cool mechanic.

Also make some limitations to what you can play, with "faction" games like this MTG and Duelmasters and the like you need to have some kind of correlation between factions besides just playing alike. Unless you're taking the Yugioh model in which case the faction thing seems kind of pointless.

kriss

i like character template, but not location   :'(

I launched the plugging but it's with old template.. too bad

I started to check rules, but 'd like to play with beta tester

good job :)

Dragoon

Thanks for feedback.

For schemes, I had a few ideas:

1. Schemes can be assigned influence from characters during your turn. These characters may not participate in battle. While a scheme has X influence, you may activate it's ability. The scheme gets destroyed.

2. You may exert influence to add influence tokens to a scheme. Opponents may exert influence to remove these tokens. You may remove those tokens to activate it's effects.

3. You may exert influence to achieve schemes or use their ability. When a scheme gets achieved, remove it from play and gain 1 Victory Point. 8 VP = win.

Thoughts?

Kosmosis|Omegan

I'd think a better system would be this:

1. You can Marshal Schemes for free

2. You put schemes into motion by fulfilling specified conditions which can be anywhere from having certain cards out, to doing something in a turn to paying for it in coins, trade or influence. This pumps up the "Quest" or "Plot" aspect f them and makes them feel like "Passive Boss Cards"

For example here's a card I just made up.

"The North's Rebellion"

Motion: When three character cards on your opponents field have died in battle with your House Margal characters mill the top 3 cards of your deck.

When in Motion:

All House Margal Characters gain +1 Strength.

Dragoon

Quote from: Kosmosis|Omegan on July 03, 2012, 10:22:50 AM
I'd think a better system would be this:

1. You can Marshal Schemes for free

2. You put schemes into motion by fulfilling specified conditions which can be anywhere from having certain cards out, to doing something in a turn to paying for it in coins, trade or influence. This pumps up the "Quest" or "Plot" aspect f them and makes them feel like "Passive Boss Cards"

For example here's a card I just made up.

"The North's Rebellion"

Motion: When three character cards on your opponents field have died in battle with your House Margal characters mill the top 3 cards of your deck.

When in Motion:

All House Margal Characters gain +1 Strength.

Worth considering. However, I also wanted to have schemes a path to victory. While it might not be an easy path, it would be defenitly a counterpart to brute force.

So, I'm thinking to do the following: A scheme is played for free, and can be set in motion with a certain cost. While in motion, you can exert influence from other sources of the same faction to add tokens to the scheme. When a scheme has X tokens, you may discard it for a Victory Point. Other players may exert influence to remove tokens from opposing schemes.

----------------------------------------------------------
Counting Favors
House Feryn
Influence: *

~'s influence is equal to the number of players.

Whenever another player draws 3 or more cards, you may set ~ in motion.

Motion: When another player draws a card, you may draw a card.

Action: Remove 1 + X tokens from ~ to have target player discards X cards.
----------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I have given each character a leadership stat. This is the amount of characters of the same faction that may follow that character in an unit. Units behave as a single character on the battlefield and the field, but take wounds and deaths as seperate characters. When a unit is wounded, you may choose what character is wounded.

If a character has any battlefield keywords, such as fast, and no other character in the unit has this, that character counts as it doesn't have that keyword.

thoughts?

Kosmosis|Omegan

It's inorganic, you should make one victory  condition and have cards naturally work towards it, not just slapping on yet another aspect to make a type of card relevant.

Dragoon

Quote from: Kosmosis|Omegan on July 03, 2012, 02:58:46 PM
It's inorganic, you should make one victory  condition and have cards naturally work towards it, not just slapping on yet another aspect to make a type of card relevant.

Maybe, but I found multiple ways of victory more interesting than a single one. Also, I already have 2 victory conditions. Reducing a keep to 0 hp and reducing a keep to 0 cards, having a third way by collecting Victory Points is not much different, if I implement it right. Also, this words to prevent full strength/full intrigue decks, as they don't have ways to protect them from the other way.

Kosmosis|Omegan

Deck outs are standard rules for loss in most decks, they don't really qualify as a victory condition. I also dont know what you mean by "full strength/intrigue" decks, but the point is that you shouldn't make the game unfocused and cluttered , special victory condition's should be limited to special cards ( DM's Godbird, YGO's Exodia, Chaotics A'une etc.)  while the main aim of winning should be a singular goal that all the cards take a dynamic  and varied approach to achieving. You can have many roads to the same destination but you cannot have one road to many destinations.