News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

draw deck as win condition?

Started by infinitehope, November 23, 2009, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infinitehope

does this exist in a game currently out, i've tinkered with this idea so meny times but it always seems to be a huge issue of balance to overcome. playing cards to draw cards to win vs the speed ... any ideas on this - has it been done?

Alastair

not quite sure what you're asking. If you mean winning by forcing your opponent to run out of cards, yes it has...many times over. If what you're suggesting is you winning by running out of cards, I dont think that would work with any existing game.

infinitehope

"I draw my deck and win"
thats the conditon I'd like to make work

Tokimo

The one problem with this I see is that as your draw cards you're already gaining an advantage, so you the current winner gets a greater and greater advantage.

Trevor

Quote from: infinitehope on November 24, 2009, 11:37:08 AM
"I draw my deck and win"
thats the conditon I'd like to make work
Sounds a lot more like a solitaire style game. Compare it to a "drain my opponent's deck" strategy, which I also don't like. Drawing all your cards to win doesn't feel as combative of assaulting the deck of your opponents.

infinitehope

Quote from: Tokimo on November 24, 2009, 02:39:19 PM
The one problem with this I see is that as your draw cards you're already gaining an advantage, so you the current winner gets a greater and greater advantage.

thats always where the game pretty much fell apart. I had an idea that playing a card "costed" you shuffling (x) number of cards in, but you never got any where that way.

So drawing was something you could only do by doing something .... and yeah... its hard to make work. maybe it would work better as a solitare game. :/

Trevor

Frequent manipulation of a deck is very annoying and tedious. Don't make playing your game feel like a chore.

xchokeholdx

Quote from: Trevor on November 25, 2009, 06:39:46 PM
Frequent manipulation of a deck is very annoying and tedious. Don't make playing your game feel like a chore.

Heh trevor, from your replies I can easily say you were not a big fan of the Decipher Star Wars game... :P

Cyrus

Quote from: xchokeholdx on November 26, 2009, 01:33:06 AM
Quote from: Trevor on November 25, 2009, 06:39:46 PM

Heh trevor, from your replies I can easily say you were not a big fan of the Decipher Star Wars game... :P

He hates it ;P
Its my fav
Its sort of like a friendly rivalry we have... maybe more of a agree to disagree situation.
I argue that ccgs can be inherently complex and still be fun
He argues that a 10 year old has to be able to play your game out of the box or something is wrong with it  :P