News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Startup Teams in CCGs

Started by Sakuro, October 14, 2010, 12:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakuro

A lot of game make you pay some kind of resource in order to bring character/monsters/units into play. Others let you start with a team I know the Dredd CCG, Rage, and the Buffy CCG let you begin with one or more characters. Can anyone think of other games that give you a starting troupe/character ?

Games With Character or "Attacking" Starter Cards
7th Seas
Arcadia
Babylon 5
Buffy
Chaotic
Digimon
Doomtown
Dredd
Dr. Who
Football Champions
Fullmetal Alchemist
GI Joe
Kingdom Hearts
Lord of the Rings
Pokemon
Magi Nation
METW
MLB Showdown
NBA Showdown
NFL Showdown
Overpower
Rage
Stargate
ST:TOS  (Star Trek: The Original Series)
Spycraft
X-Men
Yuyuhakusho

Games With Non-"Attacking" Stater Cards
Battlestar Galatic
Bleach
Cyberpunk
Harry Potter
Inital - D
Legend of the Burning Sands
Legend of the Five Rings
Maple Story
Marvel Super Stars
Simpsons
WARS
World of Warcraft

Fighting Games
City of Heroes
Epic Battles
Highlander
Megaman
Quick Strike
UFS

Adalam

Harry Potter, Bleach, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and Digimon off the top of my head.

Alastair

Sakuro

That's already more than I expected.

Poke'mon. I should have remembered that. Use to go to tournements or a while, way back when.

Picks-at-Flies

Arcadia, ST:TOS (sort-of), METW, Lord of the Rings

Turonik

Quote from: Adalam on October 14, 2010, 08:22:17 AM
Harry Potter, Bleach, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and Digimon off the top of my head.

Not Harry Potter and Bleach. Harry Potter's Characters and Bleach's Guardians are just there to grant you abilities. But they themselves have no way to attack directly.

as far as to answer the question. Doomtown,  GI Joe, 7th Seas, Chaotic, X-men, SPycraft, and Fullmetal alchemist. Those are the ones I can recall that have you begin with characters in play. Unless you just meant any sort of card in play then many games do that., most fighting games for example.

Sakuro

Man, when I posted the question I was just expecting a handful of names. A significant number are showing up.  I've edited a list into the first post so that people don't have to go searching through the thread.

Picks-At-Flies, what does ST:TOS stand for? I'm guessing METW stands for "Middle Earth: the Wizards". Is that correct?

Yes, Turonik, I was referring to characters. "People" that attack, defend, go on missions, or help you win the game in a major.

Alastair

Quote from: Sakuro on October 15, 2010, 05:07:13 PM
Picks-At-Flies, what does ST:TOS stand for?

I'm not Picks but I can tell you it stands for Star Trek: The Original Series

Sakuro

Thanks for the quick catch Alastair.

A thank you to everyone else who has added their input as well.

Turonik

Just remembered Magi Nation, while the magi's them selves don't do any attacking, they do have cards that you are allowed to start with in your hand so you at least get the character first turn.

and thanks for that clarification since "fighting" games have you start with a character in play, it's more over the attacks you do that are the real damage. Except for DBZ since the characters sometimes have built in attacks you can use and their own power rating.

Sakuro

We can lump in fighting games, or better yet I can throw up a second list in the first post if you guys would like. I've no experiance with that type of card game. Would Conan and Highlander fall into that genre? Haven't played either of those myself, but I did a little reading about them.

GnKoichi

IIRC Babylon 5 lets you start with your main character in play and lets you choose your starting hand.

Turonik

Quote from: Sakuro on October 16, 2010, 01:50:59 AM
We can lump in fighting games, or better yet I can throw up a second list in the first post if you guys would like. I've no experiance with that type of card game. Would Conan and Highlander fall into that genre? Haven't played either of those myself, but I did a little reading about them.

A second list sounds fun for games that have a card that starts in play but has no true attack.

It's been a while since I read Conan's rules I think that's more like a regular game and even though highlander you don't need a character , you can be jsut generic, it's what I consider a fighting game

starting team,a few more to add to the list, Overpower, Mlb Show Down, Nfl SHowdown, NBA showdown, football champions, and Yuyuhakusho (can't believe I forgot about Yuyu)

Fighting games, Epic Battles, UFS,  Highlander, Quick Strike, Megaman, And City of Heroes

Now for games you can just begin the game witha  card in play that more or less just lets you know who you're playing as or grants abilities : Cyber punk, Legend of the Five Rings, Legend of the Burning sands, World of Warcraft, Marvel Super Stars,  Dune,  Inital - D, WARS, Maple Story, SImpsons, Harry Potter, Bleach, Battle Star Galatica and that's all I can think of off the top of my head though I'm sure I forgot some that I'm gonna facepalm myself for not mentioning before.