News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Looking for some feedback

Started by innuendo, March 09, 2012, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

innuendo

I just finished the monumental task of actually writing down everything in my head, at least as far as it pertains to the rules of my card game. It's honestly amazing how long i've had parts of the rulebook only exist in my head. Today actually marks the first time since I started the project the whole rulebook has existed in writing at the same time.

You can find them here: www.siegescg.com/rules

If any of you are willing compatriots to this, I'm asking for some feedback on any or all of it. Especially since I think only one of you who reads this forum anymore has ever seen much of Siege, at least not in this form (Speaking of that one person, hi picks! you should message me sometime).

It's meant to be a nice mix of strictly formal rules and something more towards the "okay I can read this" side of the spectrum.

So please, any thoughts about them are welcome (except "you suck" or "go somewhere else," I will ignore those thoughts).

Thanks in advance all.

Wisp

You suck, go somewhere else!

I'm signing up as a play tester, any more than that I can not offer while I'm working on my game anyway.

MLaRF

Looks quite interesting, I may join playtesting if you need any more.
Suggestions based on rulebook:
-Morale system looks like it would kind of create a snowball, effect disallowing the losing player from defending themselves with armies, but I'm sure either I'll be proven wrong or this will be remedied.
-It looks kind of scary to learn, but that's what I said when I took up pokemon TCG, which is second nature to me now.
-Dividing damage could cause math problems, unless you round the damage.
Yeah, that's all I have for now, but it does look pretty fun. When ya have the plugin ready, I'm totally checking it out.

innuendo

Thanks guys for the comments.

@MLaRF

Morale was actually implemented (relatively) later into the development of the game as a way to help games where the winner is already pretty certain, to resolve (among other reasons). So the snowball you see is actually its intended function. Luckily, it is very hard to get a player down to zero morale unless you are playing a deck specifically focused on doing so (using effects that compound your opponent's losses). In most cases you might see morale dip or drop, but a player who gets low usually has some in deck options to restore it. It's a pressure mechanic, that put onus on the defending player to attempt to recover lost Morale and advance out. You are correct to identify it is something to watch for, since if it proves to easy to push a player to 0, the system does fall apart.

Yes, the barrier to entry is always relatively high for a collectible game. After we get through some rounds of proof editing the current stuff, I plan on putting together a sample game (through 5 seasons) which is really the easiest way to play

Always round down for wounds dealt. It's not actually divided, that's just the easiest way to explain the math. You could word using subtraction, but it's much wordier and via feedback more confusing to players.

@Both of you

Set 1 plugin is already done, I just wasn't making mention of it. Follow the links on the site to get to our forum and reach out there if you want to test, I'm practically always online.

Thanks guys.

innuendo

Hey you two, were planning on testing sometime this coming week, I just put some stuff up over on my site with the information you need. No reason to repost it all here.

Thanks again!

innuendo

Just when you think you've finished, there always comes along one good idea you can't pass up.

I just made some additions to the rulebook, if either of you care to take a look. The interesting parts is under the section about reserves.

Rules Updates

It dawned on me and my codesigner that anti wounds was way to good of an idea to pass up and just save for later, they made too much sense logistically and needed to be in the game now, less we end up stubbing our toes on card designs and names.

Any feedback is appreciated, as always.

(And a small note: we are planning on doing some testing this week if anyone is interested. I'll be playing as often as I can find people to play with, mornings or late evenings est. If you want to join in we would love to have you, just let me know if you see me in lackey or you can tell me at our forums)

Wisp

that's clever, good idea.

Sorry man, i'm really so busy right now, I can't help out :(