News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

how should be a card template?

Started by yudencow, November 08, 2010, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yudencow

you see many similarities between many CGs in their templates, and i have a question about it
why in Magic the power and toughness or in yugioh the ATK and DEF are on the bottom left corner?
plus any tips of how it is preferred to be done are welcome!

Dragoon

Players have universely adapted to a system that has attack followed by defense. Attack above defense also works.

Tokimo

Personally I hate where they put attack and defense on a magic card. It's two arcane numbers with no meaning. Put attack/defense symbols next to your numbers and it's fine to put them anywhere. There's no need to emulate Magic's card layout on this.

Typherion

When making a template, I think you should be careful to remember how a player will actually be holding the cards.

If you have important information on all 4 sides of your cards, then it will be pretty annoying. Players won't be able to easily check cards in their hands without cycling through them one by one.

You will want to be able to hold several cards and be able to easily see important icons or numbers that at least tell you which cards you can play and which cards you can't.

I think the best idea is to pick two adjacent sides and put the most important stuff there.

Monox D. I-Fly

Quote from: Tokimo on November 09, 2010, 07:56:46 AMThere's no need to emulate Magic's card layout on this.

Yes, I know several CCGs which don't use that layout. WarMetal Tyrant has its Attack on the bottom left and HP on the bottom right. Eredan has all numeral stats on the right side from the top to the bottom, if I recall correctly the order is Attack, Defence, Magic, and Life. Elements has its Attack and HP on the bottom right of the card art.