News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Server color coding feedback

Started by Trevor, December 10, 2010, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

The 12/10/10 version of lackey color codes things in the server panel.

In the player list, gray players are people you have on ignore, black is for people who have a different plugin, and green are for people who have the same plugin as you.

For the game list, gray is for games that aren't for your plugin. Black is for games for you plugin that are full. Green is for games for you plugin for which there is an empty seat. You can join green games.

I'm not sure if these color codings is ideal. I appreciate feedback.

Ayotte

Red would be better for full games I think.  I'm used to black being the default color, and therefore sometimes for open games.

Trevor

Quote from: Ayotte on December 11, 2010, 09:19:00 PM
Red would be better for full games I think.  I'm used to black being the default color, and therefore sometimes for open games.
I considered using red, but I think it might actually look a bit jarring. Don't you think it would be?

I chose to use black, grey, and a dark green because I think those are subtle colors.

One thing I think is a bit confusing is how I use those 3 colors for different purposes with the player list and with the game list. Do you guys find that confusing? Any suggestions?

Ayotte

Quote from: Trevor on December 12, 2010, 08:40:59 AM
Quote from: Ayotte on December 11, 2010, 09:19:00 PM
I considered using red, but I think it might actually look a bit jarring. Don't you think it would be?

I chose to use black, grey, and a dark green because I think those are subtle colors.

Jarring or not, I don't think it's very intuitive for black to be a full game.  Why not have an option to change the color coding?

QuoteOne thing I think is a bit confusing is how I use those 3 colors for different purposes with the player list and with the game list. Do you guys find that confusing? Any suggestions?

As soon as I connect to the server, I switch to the player list specific to my plugin anyway.

Remag

I think it is a considerate change and helpful to some.

I agree with the red as that is the color we are used to seeing for "stop" or "no access" here although maybe a darker red that does not stand out too much would be the way to go.

Maybe green should be for those who have been put on ignore as they are often either "too green"  ;D or because they just make someone "sick green" and or as their words are "vomit" to one.  :-\'

Keeping black as the default we already know. I do not think many would be confused between the two.

Trevor

Maybe for the player list, black could be for players with your plugin, grey could be for players not using your plugin, and maybe red could be for people you have on ignore. That at least would make things more consistent between the player list and the game list. I chose gray for the ignored players initially to make their names less prominent. Red would make them stand out more, but I suppose that's ok if it makes the color coding more intuitive.

So unless anyone suggests a good reason otherwise, next build, people you ignore will be red, people with your plugin will be black, and people with a different plugin will be gray. And I'll make people on your friends list green (when I add that).

Regarding making an interface to give people more control of the color coding, not only is that more work for me, but that will clutter up the interface. It's more trouble than its worth, in more than one sense.

Remag