News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Card Sorcerer

Started by Kilravok, January 19, 2011, 05:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilravok

I only just started working on an idea for a CCG and still am working on the basic concept.  So far I got as base concept for the world that all magic is done by Card Sorcery, making the players being the actual hero characters, represented by Character cards, fighting out the battle instead of just controlling units and heros on the field.  With exception of Summonings, there will be no monsters/units/heroes, only spells to cause/modify/prevent damage and spells to conjour equipment (plus diverse events, assets, 'real' (non-conjoured) equipment, etc...)

Players would be represented by Character cards which each contain aditionally to their attack, defense, lifepoints (etc..) stats also their special rules and abilities (racial, professional, individual).  The payer would choose ONE Character card as his avatar in accordance to his prefered style. Subtype limitations limit what kind of Character can use what kind of Card Sorcery.

For excample, every Character type can only have one Summoning on the field at any given time, to summon another one, he would have to discard the older one first.  The exception is the Summoner Character type, who can have up to 3 Summonings at once on the field but has strong limitations on equipment and spells.  A Sorcerer would have less limitations to spells but can use less types and amounts of equipment, while an Advernturer would have more and better equipment but less spells....and so on...
Aditional to general cards, the different races (Human, Elf, Lich, Dragon, etc...) would each have their own type of Summoning, Gear, Assets, Spells. An Elf would for excample be able to summon a Forest Sprite while a Lich can summon (within the same strength tier) a Bone Minion, an Orc can summon on that same Tier a Goblin Poucher...etc...

That is as far as I got it worked out, plus the rough layout of the world history...still need to decide on what stats to use and work on the mechanics, but I am already concerned about finding the right art to represent the cards, creating the card layout and templates, etc...  Once I have more, or when I decided on a layout, I will update that information here.
If anybody knows where I can find good Artwork (I love the artwork used by WTactics and Bloodstone, btw.), any pointers would be apreciated.  I would like to have all images made by the same person/team to ensure some consistency in the art style.
Also I would like to hear any sort of ideas, critics, inspirations or advise to my idea.  Thanks in advance

BrotherM

There's not much feedback I can give at this point, until you have worked out a little more of the basic mechanics.

So this is basically a pvp rpg?  Is that a fair description?  It sounds rather like the pvp areas in WoW.  That could be an interesting concept.

Will there be character advancement?  Pushing this game in that direction (heavy rpg) might make it stand out a bit more.

I also don't quite understand the Summonings, given that player avatars are supposed to be the only characters?

I think you have some interesting ideas here.  Please update when you have some more of it fleshed out. :)

Kilravok

The game world is based on a RPG world I once (years ago) started to create and is very much PvP....one can compare it to Yu-Gi-Oh without monsters...all equipment, traps and spells.  I haven't yet thought about character advancement/development but might figure something out for tournament sake.  As far as Sumonings go, they are creatures that can be summoned to fight on behalf of the player, but their combat atributes are lower than player's atributes.  Their real value is as protection against direct attacks and in their special efects.  The focus of the game is kept away from creatures by setting the limit of only one creature at a time on a player's side on the field and by making it take 3 turns to get a creature actively summoned.

Here a list of card types I have so far:
This is you. It contains an individual name, your Race, Profession and Alignment along with your Attributes Strength, Defence, Health and Focus and any special abilities and limitations you have.  There are three Profession:
Summoner can have three Summonings on the field while all others can only have one but can only Memorise three cards at any given time.
Sorcerer can memorise seven cards while others have only five, but they can not use Equipment
Adventurer can equip five items while others can only equip three, but they can not use Rituals.

Spells
Magic that hurts your opponent, protect you or alter reality. 
There are several different type of spells:
Conjuration are equipment pieces that are created by magic.  They usually have a limited active time before they are removed.  Conjurations have to be Memorised before they can be Equipped or played Active or Prepared.  Trap Cards are Conjurations that can switch from Prepared to Active as response to other actions or events and are removed immediately after the resolve step.
Spell are raw magical energies shaped into an unstable force.  Spells work instantly and are immediately after the resolve step discarded or removed.  Spells can be Memorised or played Active straight from Hand.
Ritual are spells that take time to cast and can have a delayed effect.  Rituals take effect as a reaction to other actions or events or by choice of the player and remain in game until removed or discarded through another effect.  Rituals have to be Memorised before they can be Prepared, they can not be Activated in the same turn as they have been Prepared, but they can be Activated as reaction during the opponent's turn.
Latent Talent are spontaneous discharges of magical energies, caused by stress, fright, surprise and similar situations.  They take effect immediately and are removed after the resolve step.  Latent Talents can be played Active any time (even during the opponent's turn) from Hand and can not be Memorised or Prepared.  Latent Talents reduce the Avatar's Focus.
Summoning are cards that summon creatures onto the field to fight on behalf of the Player/Avatar.  They are not as strong and enduring as a Player but stand like a defence line and protect the Player's health while being able to attack the opponent or opponent's Summoning creatures.  Summons have to be Memorised before they can be Prepared and have to be Prepared before they can be Activated.  Once Activated, Summons can be equipped with one Conjuration or Equipment.  A Player can only have one Summoning on the field any any given time.  Defeated Summons are removed from game and reduce the Avatar's Focus.

Assets
Assets are special equipment items that have an effect on the Avatar or alter the game mechanics in favour to the Player.  These might include things like higher limit to the number of cards in the hand, additional special abilities, Race advantages or other permanent modifiers. When destroyed, Assets are discarded and cause loss of Focus

Equipment
Work similar to Conjurations but don't need to be Memorised and have no time limitation.  Equipment is discarded from game when destroyed. Traps are Equipments that can be played Prepared on the field and don't need to be attached.

Events
Events are similar to Assets but are of limited duration and affect both players equally favourably or disfavourably.  They can only be played during one's own End Phase.

Card Zones
I have renamed some card zones to be more interesting and thematic.
Deck : Deck of 60-100 cards
Hand: The cards in your hand, between 3 and 6 cards
Avatar: Where the Avatar card representing you lays
Memorised: Cards that are prepared and can be played
Field: Cards that are in play Prepared(face down) or Active(face up)
Tools: Equipment and Asset type cards are placed adjacent to your Avatar card or an active Summoning card 
Summoning: Cards representing creatures, heroes, troops, monsters or the likes
Blank: Discard Zone (where destroyed, discarded and used cards go)
Burned: Removed Zone (place of no return).

Game Preparation
Your Deck is composed of 60-100 playable cards and one (1) 'Avatar' card. 
Once you have created your Deck and found an opponent, you select from your Deck your StartHand (5 cards) and your StartMemory (2 cards).  The total FocusLevel of your Start Cards (StartHand and StartMemory) may not exceed your Avatar's Focus.
The StartMemory is placed face down in your Memorised zone and your Avatar is placed face down in the Avatar field. 
When both you and your opponent have completed the preparations, the Avatar card is turned face up. And the Duel can begin.

Victory Condition
1: Your opponent looses.
2: You are able to play a Divine/Demonic Summoning.
Loosing conditions
1: You are out of Health or Focus
2: You have no cards in your Deck nor on your Hand nor in your 'Memorised' zone at the end of a turn.
3: Your opponent is able to play a Divine/Demonic Summoning.

This is all so far....I am sure this already gives a clear hint on how the game mechanics will work

Monox D. I-Fly

I can imagine it. Similar to Ederon, isn't it?