A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Clone Wars card game

Started by xchokeholdx, March 07, 2011, 09:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xchokeholdx

"Okay rocket jockeys, fire up your jets. Let's move!"

Hello guys, long time no talk.

After having play tested the "old" version of the clone wars card game more than 20 times:
http://www.cardgameforge.com/game.php?id=138&mode=cards&sid=191&show_all=1

We found out that even though the game was "fun" to play, it did not really capture the Star Wars "Clone Wars" feeling, and it felt more like a "slap down what you can" kinda game. the difference Force values got complicated sometimes during combat, and as soon as you started winning, there was no turning back.

We tried to add some stuff, like mission cards (implemented on Location cards), but it only slowed the game down. It felt like we moved further and further away from the heart of the game,  Clone Wars...

so after reading through literally tens of TCG/CCG rulebooks, we created a semi-new Rule-set that not only streamlined the game more, it stays more true to the heart of the Clone Wars series; Controlling and conquering Planets and locations during the civil unrest in a galaxy, far, far away...

It simplifies the game A LOT. for example; characters now only have ONE major stat: Force. How?s that for simplification? (their game-texts will make up for it, don?t worry!).

The Core-rules are being written right now, but the gist of it is this:

It is a one-to-one game (multiplayer rules will be implemented in a later stage).
Main Factions are Republic v.s. Confederation of Independent Systems (CIS).
Each Faction is divided into 4 "smaller" factions which impact deckbuilding.

Republic:
- Droids
- Senate
- Jedi
- Clone

CIS:
- Droids
- Senate
- Sith
- Bounty Hunters.

next to these, smaller factions like Pirates are available to all players (unaligned).

Players control a stack of 5 different Locations (planets, cities, special places like Ziro?s Palace for example).

Each Location is "tied" to 3 out of 4 possible factions from each side.

for example: the location Mustafar gives access to Sith, Bounty Hunter and Senate cards. This means that while Mustafar is your current location, you may not play Droid cards. So If you want to play a lot of cool Senate cards, like Lott Dod, you might want to avoid having Mustafar as one of your 5 Locations.

the goal of the game is to conquer 3 of your opponent?s Locations, and thus end the civil war and bring "peace" to the galaxy..

Each location has a starting amount of Force, and generate an amount of Force each turn for their owner.

Players play character, Item, Event and Disruption cards by paying an amount of Force for them which is removed from their location card.

character can freely attack other characters, and each character will remove Force from their opponent?s character in combat. e.g. a 2 Force character against a 3 force character will result in the death of the 2 Force character and the "3" Force character will survive with just 1 force left on it.

If there are no character in play, your character-(s) may directly attack an opponent?s Location. If your Location has 0 force and you have no characters in play, that Location is conquered.

Old cardfloppers might recognize this mechanic. True, as we implemented large parts of the Magi-Nation duel rules into this game, as it makes a perfect fit to get the Clone wars feeling.

to further implement the Clone Wars feeling, Location cards will have starting cards, that a player may look for in his deck (e.g. add to hand) when revealing the Location. for example, Grievous?s Castle will have "Gor" as a starting character.

Different from the Magi-nation card game is that Clone Wars WILL have disruption cards. Meaning interrupt/instant cards that CAN be played on an opponent?s turn. This "lack of" interaction was missed a lot in the Magi nation card game. This will open up more strategic battles and increase player interaction.

I guess you are all waiting for some card examples, which unfortunately will have to wait a bit, as we are finishing up on the template for it.

We have no idea about set size, but expect a first set to have more or less the same amount of cards as the "old" clone wars had, around 150.

Any comments are more than welcome!

Gameplay will be a lot faster than magi nation, as numbers are toned-down a bit, to prevent the moving of tens of tokens each turn between Locations and characters. Expect a game to last about 20-30 minutes, depending on the deck of course.

Q: Why 5 locations, instead of just 3?
A: To give each player more options to react to your opponent?s deck. We felt 3 Locations narrowed the game too much. It also opens up the possibility to let players go for a "first to 5" game, on a rainy sunday afternoon.

Cyrus

In your post it says you have to control 3 locations to win, but then your Q&A at the end says "why 5 instead of 3?" Sooooo, which is it?

That aside, I like the idea a lot, seems to combine old school star wars type gaming to new school streamlined tcg feel. Could be really fun, once you've got some playable decks hit me up I'll try to make some time to playtest

xchokeholdx

Quote from: Cyrus on March 09, 2011, 12:44:41 AM
In your post it says you have to control 3 locations to win, but then your Q&A at the end says "why 5 instead of 3?" Sooooo, which is it?

That aside, I like the idea a lot, seems to combine old school star wars type gaming to new school streamlined tcg feel. Could be really fun, once you've got some playable decks hit me up I'll try to make some time to playtest

Hmm, yeah, maybe it was not clear:

Players COULD use just 3 locations, and the first one to conquer 3, wins.
But when players have a stack of 5 locations (win con doesn't change, still 3 to win), they have more OPTIONS to choose from. For example, that planet Tatooine works nicely against my opponent?s Jedi deck, so let them try and conquer that.

Win condition is to conquer 3 of your opponent?s locations.
Players use 5 Locations to have more options to choose from.

Players can "adapt" the normal rules and make it a "conquer 5" game, to increase playing time.

Just read the text about the 4 factions again, and it didn't sound right, here is the correct example:

Each Location is "tied" to 3 out of 4 possible factions from each side.

for example: the location Mustafar gives access to Sith, Bounty Hunter and Senate cards. This means that while Mustafar is your current location, you may not play Droid cards. So If you want to play a lot of cool Doid cards, like Droideka, you might want to avoid having Mustafar as one of your 5 Locations.
====

Cyrus

Ah, it all makes sense now :)
I like it, and I love pretty much all things star wars, so I'm excited to give it a shot