News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Second main phase of magic?

Started by shane-e-ak, March 27, 2011, 06:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane-e-ak

can you activate abilities of selected card during the second main phase in magic?

Trevor

Quote from: shane-e-ak on March 27, 2011, 06:17:20 PM
can you activate abilities of selected card during the second main phase in magic?
You can activate abilities any time, even on your opponent's turn.

d3vtr0n

Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2011, 11:25:25 PM

unless the ability says activate only on your turn, as a sorcery, or something like that

d3vtr0n

Quote from: DemonicSei on March 28, 2011, 06:36:49 AM
Quote from: d3vtr0n on March 28, 2011, 02:15:04 AM
Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2011, 11:25:25 PM

unless the ability says activate only on your turn, as a sorcery, or something like that

And keep in mind that Planewalkers' abilities activate as a sorcery... so not on your opponent's turn.

you activate the ability as a sorcery, and the loyalty counters get added as a sorcery but the ability happens as an instant
its a little confusing...

say you had nissa out and someone bolted her, you could still use one of her abilities, but the counters would get added after she died so nothing would happen

Koolzo

Quoteyou activate the ability as a sorcery, and the loyalty counters get added as a sorcery but the ability happens as an instant

say you had nissa out and someone bolted her, you could still use one of her abilities, but the counters would get added after she died so nothing would happen

This is incorrect.

Counters get added as part of the cost to use the abilities. Planeswalker abilities are activated abilities, and the counters are part of the cost.

If someone were to lightning bolt her when she was at  3 counters, you would NOT get to use an ability in response.

Now, if you just played a Nissa, you could choose to not pass priority, and use one of her abilities before an opponent had a chance to lightning bolt her.

Either way, no matter what happens, if you use one of the abilities, and she gets bolted in response, even if that puts her to zero counters, the ability is still on the stack, and will resolve, even after she is put into the graveyard.

I know this was a little scattered, but I just wanted to clear that up.

d3vtr0n

Quote from: Koolzo on March 28, 2011, 01:54:18 PM
Quoteyou activate the ability as a sorcery, and the loyalty counters get added as a sorcery but the ability happens as an instant

This is incorrect.

Counters get added as part of the cost to use the abilities. Planeswalker abilities are activated abilities, and the counters are part of the cost.

If someone were to lightning bolt her when she was at  3 counters, you would NOT get to use an ability in response.

Now, if you just played a Nissa, you could choose to not pass priority, and use one of her abilities before an opponent had a chance to lightning bolt her.

Either way, no matter what happens, if you use one of the abilities, and she gets bolted in response, even if that puts her to zero counters, the ability is still on the stack, and will resolve, even after she is put into the graveyard.

I know this was a little scattered, but I just wanted to clear that up.

thanks for clarifying
i was always confused about that

my brother told me that and i just believed him since he seemed to know what he was talking about
lol

Cyrus

I think the answer you are looking for is: YES

With all of the above restrictions applied