News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Dvorak Support

Started by Eyes Only, March 31, 2011, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyes Only

Hey guys, why doesn't my dvorak keyboard work in lackey? It seems (java perhaps) is forcing qwerty layout... Lackey (or java) seems to ignore your keyboard settings in windows. I did a quick search before posting this and no hits for "dvorak" came up, am I the only lackey user with a dvorak keyboard?

Trevor

Supporting non-qwerty keyboards is something I want to do, but I've been working on other things. Please try to make do if you can. Sorry about the annoyance of it.

Eyes Only

Ah so it's not a java thing. That's really annoying that you actually have to program support for it yourself, isn't there an API or something for keyboard layout detection already in the JRE? It seems pointless to have to do it yourself :/

Harmonex

I just joined and made a post for this.  Didn't realize one already existed, so I had to delete mine.  Because I'm lazy, I'm just going to copy-paste regardless of context.

QuoteI know this is a bugs board, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.  I type using a Dvorak keyboard, and I haven't used QWERTY in several months.  While this is normally controlled by the system files of the computer's operating system, some programs (such as LackeyCCG) read the direct keystrokes instead.  This results in my ',.pyfgcrl row becoming qwertyuiop.  This wouldn't be so much of a bother if I could just see and press those letters, but my physical keyboard has been remapped to the Dvorak standard, so I have to rely on memory alone to type when chatting with other CCGers.

It becomes so difficult to tell people what I'm doing that it makes it very hard to play with people.  On more than one occasion I've had people leave just because I was typing so slow (we're talking 5-15 WPM).  While I understand that making and updating a program is time consuming (and that you are getting little out of it in return), this particular feature would help so many that feel alienated by the incompatibility of the program.

nightwynd

On a mostly related side note, I've just made the switch to Devorak, and I found a way to make it work in Linux - just completely disable all other keyboard options! I hate that I can't do the same in windows.

This message typed by a new devorak convert (2nd day) with about 40 spelling mistakes...not bad really.

yday ,ao .aof