News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Kind of like a Trivia Question

Started by Gattison, April 03, 2011, 05:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gattison

So, let's say I wanted to see (or make) a list of all card types in CCGs.  That's a bad description, let me clarify.

I know certain terms like I'm pretty sure Stymie cards are card that prevent players from taking actions, or something like that.

Buff are cards that increase another card's stats, while debuffs decrease stat values on other cards.

There's gotta be some fancy name for cards that search through your deck, right?

What else is there?

I don't want to make list that says Characters, Monsters, Equipment, Artifacts, nor do I want a list of every type of card from every game.

I want to know what are the deck card types, and what is the term in the CCG community for them?

Thanks

GnKoichi

This varies by game. The most common is MtG, and that's what I'm most familiar with, so I'll post what I've heard. Note that these are not all in wide use. Most card types don't have a single community-established nick name in the way you're describing:

Tutor - Cards that let you search through your deck to pull out something you want
Counter - Cards that stop your opponent from playing a card
Removal - Cards that destroy other cards outright
Burn - Cards that deal direct damage
Bomb - Cards that will single-handedly win you the game if your opponent doesn't do something about them
Mill - Cards that remove cards from your opponents library
Evasion - Creatures that have a way of getting past your opponents blockers (flying, landwalk, etc)
Tim - Creatures that can be tapped to deal a small amount of direct damage each turn

Gattison

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for.

Tim?  Tim, really?  Like the fireball-throwing sorcerer-guy from Quest for the Holy Grail?  Seriously though, is the nickname "Tim," in anyway connected to the theory I heard that players are categorized as Johnny's, George's and Tim's or something like that?  Johnny, plays for fun, George plays to win, and Tim plays to make interesting decks or something like that.

Typherion

The list posted by GnKoichi are the terms used by people talking about Magic.

There is no list of universal terms for classifying cards because different games have different mechanics.

Tutoring is called Searching in some other games.
Removal is a term a lot of people use to talk about many games.

Many games would not have mechanics that support milling, burn or evasion for example.

I think that a lot of the terms used by Magic are common to other games, though.

Some simple ones that weren't mentioned above are:
Draw - cards that let you draw additional cards from your deck.
Discard - cards that make a player send cards from their hand to the discard zone.
Sacrifice - cards that make a player send their own cards from the play zone to the discard zone.

Dragoon

What Typherion said. Also there are a lot of terms that very for each kitchen table. For example, at home I use the term 'pinger' to describe guys who can tap for damage. But my friends use another term.

But draw/discard/sacrifice/removal/tutor is most common. Evasion is also a bit common. But this depends on the game, if there are a lot of ways to get past cards.

Again, it all depends on what game you want.

d3vtr0n

along with all the other types listed above
there is:
mana ramp
tribal
indestructibility
infect
artifact

and the whole "tim" deck is actually machine gun timmy, which is centered around prodigal sorcerer, idk why its called that, maybe because of the artist?

Picks-at-Flies

There's some confusion.

"Tim" is both the Magic nickname for pingers, basically because the original Prodical Sorceror looked just like Tim from Holy Grail.

"Timmy" is a player archetype which plays for fun, rather than focussing on winning (Spike) or new combos (Johnny).  They are more complicated than that but it's worth searching the Wizards website for Timmy, Johnny and Spike.

Gattison

Thanks everybody.  And thanks again Paf.