I just posted a new version of Lackey, build date 10-03-11. Post bugs here.

Started by Trevor, October 03, 2011, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I just posted a new version with a number of fixes and some new improvements.

First, due to the method I used to fix the bug where people see the wrongs, some saved games may not work. And more important to plugin makers, some start.txt files may need to be remade. If you use a start.txt with your plugin, double check that it still works properly.

One change is appearance preferences are now localized to the plugin. This includes skin choice, table image, and zone image for now. For example, if you load a skin and table background image for the chess plugin, and then you load the scrabble plugin, you can save a different set of skin and table background for that plugin, and it won't interfere with other plugin's settings. Note that your selections prior to the current release will not be imported to the new system, so you will likely see the default values as soon as you launch Lackey.

Some new features plugin makers can use are:
Plugin makers can now define in the plugin that all players should be treated as if they are sitting on the same side of the table. This is useful for a game like scrabble. Unlike real life scrabble, you don't need to rotate the board or view the board upside-down.
To use this, you can define in your plugin:
<definition><kind>SITONSAMESIDE</kind><value>yes</value></definition>

Plugin makers can now define in their plugin that the deck editor should be disabled. More and more kinds of games are being created and played with Lackey. For some of them, it doesn't make sense to be loaded a deck. With chess or scrabble, for example, instead of loading a deck, you just select New Game from the main menu.
To use this, you can define in your plugin:
<definition><kind>ENABLEDECKEDITOR</kind><value>no</value></definition>

As mentioned previously, appearance preferences are now local to plugins. If a person has never saved a table background while using a plugin, they will see the default table background image the next time they load that plugin. If you want to use a plugin specific table background as the default, you can define one.
Take a look at the chess plugin for example. If you install the chess plugin, it includes the following in it's plugininfo.txt:
<definition><kind>CUSTOMTABLEBACKGROUND</kind><value>chess.jpg</value></definition>
That means it will load a default chess board image. Note that you should also include this image in your updatelist.txt, and you should download it to where your other table background images are, namely images/backgrounds/chess.jpg. Note that this is a shared backgrounds folder, so you can have multiple plugins load the same background image.
Similarly, you can do the same with skins and zone background images.
<definition><kind>CUSTOMSKIN</kind><value>chessskin.jpg</value></definition>
<definition><kind>CUSTOMZONEBACKGROUND</kind><value>chesszonebackground.jpg</value></definition>

A few notes on this:
This is NOT intended for the plugin maker to set everyone else's play mat to what the plugin maker likes best aesthetically. This is more for games like chess or scrabble or some other game where pieces need to be placed at a certain place and it is to assert that everyone should at least have some basic table play mat. You can only change the default values, so of a person is newly loading your plugin, they will see these settings. Don't assume that people will keep it. When you make backgrounds and skins, please use smart naming conventions. In other words, use a name that is both descriptive, short, and unlikely to be coincidentally used by another plugin (or user).

I fixed the bug where some of the right click menus weren't working.

Let me know if you find any other bugs.

innuendo

Not sure where this sits on your priority list, but the uninstall.txt feature is still not functioning for me.  I purposefully packaged up an old version of my plugin into a .zip and have the hosted (up to date) version ready to update if you would like to see it recreated and or want to test.  I've had issues from several locations, even after a new install of lackey.

Let me know if this is back burner for you, but I would love to help you track this issue down.

Trevor

Quote from: innuendo on October 06, 2011, 03:07:35 PM
Not sure where this sits on your priority list, but the uninstall.txt feature is still not functioning for me.  I purposefully packaged up an old version of my plugin into a .zip and have the hosted (up to date) version ready to update if you would like to see it recreated and or want to test.  I've had issues from several locations, even after a new install of lackey.

Let me know if this is back burner for you, but I would love to help you track this issue down.
Send me the stuff and I will investigate.

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on October 03, 2011, 10:54:35 PM

First, due to the method I used to fix the bug where people see the wrongs, some saved games may not work. And more important to plugin makers, some start.txt files may need to be remade. If you use a start.txt with your plugin, double check that it still works properly.

Could you specify this? Is there any way to recover from these save games? Reason is we are using Lackey to play a world wide league tournament and sometimes games have to be interrupted due to time zone differences (Australia playing New York or Seattle playing London - most games last at least 2 h). In the first round of the new season three of about 20 games were interrupted and 2 have the problem, that the new Lackey version does not show the correct save state. We would love to finish these games but at the moment are clueless how...

Nava

mms99br

Hi, after installing the new version the lotr-tcg Fantasy Flight stops to work. In fact the deck editor and the game itself run, but as for play it you need a "start.txt" to load the encounter deck crashes and now it is getting random cards instead of shadow cards. It is running well in the earlier version of lackey. (read "readme.txt" from the plugin for details on how start.txt works)

mms99br

Trevor

Quote from: Nava on October 09, 2011, 04:39:15 AM
Quote from: Trevor on October 03, 2011, 10:54:35 PM

Could you specify this? Is there any way to recover from these save games? Reason is we are using Lackey to play a world wide league tournament and sometimes games have to be interrupted due to time zone differences (Australia playing New York or Seattle playing London - most games last at least 2 h). In the first round of the new season three of about 20 games were interrupted and 2 have the problem, that the new Lackey version does not show the correct save state. We would love to finish these games but at the moment are clueless how...

Nava
It should work from now on. It's just that saves made with a previous version won't work. I'm sorry but there is no way around that. Usually, saves are valid from version to version, but they aren't in this rare case.

Trevor

Trevor

Quote from: mms99br on October 09, 2011, 04:42:02 AM
Hi, after installing the new version the lotr-tcg Fantasy Flight stops to work. In fact the deck editor and the game itself run, but as for play it you need a "start.txt" to load the encounter deck crashes and now it is getting random cards instead of shadow cards. It is running well in the earlier version of lackey. (read "readme.txt" from the plugin for details on how start.txt works)
I explained this in the initial post.

QuoteFirst, due to the method I used to fix the bug where people see the wrongs, some saved games may not work. And more important to plugin makers, some start.txt files may need to be remade. If you use a start.txt with your plugin, double check that it still works properly.
The solution is for the plugin maker to remake the start.txt, and for everyone to update.

Knighthawk

LackeyUpdater isn't working once again, but the update works if you get it from your main website, Thought I'd drop by to let you know.

Picks-at-Flies

Following comments from other plugins, I also don't appear to have a working updatelist.txt

<uninstall>

<dateYYMMDD>111009</dateYYMMDD>
<removepath>sets/setimages/Ahadi-Hellcats/thewholenineyards.jpg</removepath>
<removepath>sets/setimages/periphery/</removepath>

</uninstall>

While I got 'periphery' wrong which is my fault, thewholenineyards.jpg path is correct but didn't delete.

--
Another job for the wishlist:   when you change plugins, it would be nice if the plugin defaultchat file loaded.  At present it sticks with whichever you have open when Lackey starts.

Trevor

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on October 11, 2011, 06:44:40 AM
Following comments from other plugins, I also don't appear to have a working updatelist.txt

<uninstall>

<dateYYMMDD>111009</dateYYMMDD>
<removepath>sets/setimages/Ahadi-Hellcats/thewholenineyards.jpg</removepath>
<removepath>sets/setimages/periphery/</removepath>

</uninstall>

While I got 'periphery' wrong which is my fault, thewholenineyards.jpg path is correct but didn't delete.
Talk to me on AIM and I can investigate that.

Trevor