New version soon to be released. Last chance to test it...

Started by Trevor, November 04, 2010, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: TheBuck on November 13, 2010, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 10, 2010, 04:03:01 PM
Quote from: Gordon228 on November 10, 2010, 03:16:14 PM
is it supposed to crash when you double click to add a card to your deck?
Do you think that is intended?

I will fix that bug. I also just noticed adding a format filter to the deck editor's library of cards will cause a crash. I was just updating some code there and I guess I messed something up. I will fix this and likely post a new version tomorrow or so.

How's that fix coming; that one is a real bugger?
Working on it.

dialectric

A minor bug:

In the previous version you could shuffle as often as you wanted. The new version has changed this to printing the 'you don't need to shuffle, the deck is completely random' message. This introduces an issue when a player switches between 'shown to owner' and 'hidden to owner'. If you show the deck to yourself, and don't move any cards, then hide it, you can't shuffle because the deck is still random, but this is an issue because now you know what is in the deck.

This could potentially be fixed by having the hide/show button press re-allow shuffling.

(I see the reason for the change, though I personally liked that you could shuffle several times even if it was unnecessary. Made it more like playing in the real world. Maybe this could be a preferences/plugin setting?)

- dialectric

Trevor

Quote from: dialectric on November 14, 2010, 10:37:09 AM
A minor bug:

In the previous version you could shuffle as often as you wanted. The new version has changed this to printing the 'you don't need to shuffle, the deck is completely random' message. This introduces an issue when a player switches between 'shown to owner' and 'hidden to owner'. If you show the deck to yourself, and don't move any cards, then hide it, you can't shuffle because the deck is still random, but this is an issue because now you know what is in the deck.

This could potentially be fixed by having the hide/show button press re-allow shuffling.

(I see the reason for the change, though I personally liked that you could shuffle several times even if it was unnecessary. Made it more like playing in the real world. Maybe this could be a preferences/plugin setting?)

- dialectric
I thought every action that would make you want to reshuffle reenabled you to shuffle. I'll fix that.

I disabled spam shuffles because they have no effect on the game other than to spam messages and use more bandwidth. The only people who spam shuffled are the superstitious and the people who were bad at math.
The difference between the real world and on lackey is lackey's shuffle will always result in perfectly random decks, where as the real world shuffles are only attempts at randomization.

mathman1550

Quote from: Trevor on November 14, 2010, 10:50:19 AM
I thought every action that would make you want to reshuffle reenabled you to shuffle. I'll fix that.

I disabled spam shuffles because they have no effect on the game other than to spam messages and use more bandwidth. The only people who spam shuffled are the superstitious and the people who were bad at math.
The difference between the real world and on lackey is lackey's shuffle will always result in perfectly random decks, where as the real world shuffles are only attempts at randomization.
The mathematician in me is screaming. Yes, Lackey's shuffle will result in decks being more randomized than can normally be achieved in live cards, but its still just an algorithm, which can never reach true randomness, though it may imitate true randomness very well.
By the way, I teach math all day long to students who make mistakes of all sorts, so its ingrained in me to correct it, no offense meant.

Trevor

Quote from: mathman1550 on November 14, 2010, 04:09:08 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 14, 2010, 10:50:19 AM

The mathematician in me is screaming. Yes, Lackey's shuffle will result in decks being more randomized than can normally be achieved in live cards, but its still just an algorithm, which can never reach true randomness, though it may imitate true randomness very well.
By the way, I teach math all day long to students who make mistakes of all sorts, so its ingrained in me to correct it, no offense meant.
I am well aware that there is an algorithm at the heart of the randomness, and some (including myself) would argue there is no true randomness in anything (even quantum mechanics). So this is more an issue of semantics. In my use of the term random, I mean mixed up with no discernible order. In that regard, Lackey's shuffle is perfect.

Trevor

I just posted a new version. It fixes those annoying deck editor crashes, and the shuffle bug that dialectric pointed out.

It also fixes some networking issues. Please test this and report any bugs that are still present.

Trevor

Trevor

Just Mick

Hah I showed up just now for first time in probably months to try the new Lackey. Good timing (*notes ^post date*)

Is there a changelog versus the old Lackey somewhere?

Tanspriter

Not really sure where to put this but I just joined to say that it no longer loads your extra deck when clicking "load to you," which is essential for yugioh.